Angels 'in serious discussions' with Rodney

Dec 22, 2009, 2:50 PM EDT

ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark reports that the Angels “are in serious discussions” with Fernando Rodney, who last week was said to be drawing interest from the Orioles, Phillies, and Mets.
Rodney converted 37-of-38 saves for the Tigers last season, but would presumably slide into a setup role in front of closer Brian Fuentes. Or if manager Mike Scioscia wanted to make things really interesting and buck conventional wisdom he could use them as dual closers, mixing and matching the left-handed Fuentes and right-handed Rodney.
Despite his success as a closer last season Rodney is definitely better suited for a seventh- or eighth-inning role. Look past the saves and he really wasn’t all that great, posting a 4.40 ERA and sub par 61/41 K/BB ratio in 75.2 innings. Those numbers basically match his career totals coming into the year, which included a 4.25 ERA and 253/129 K/BB ratio in 254 frames.

1. Fashion police - Dec 22, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Maybe Rodney would get a little more respect if he cork screwed his hat on a little straighter.

2. Grant - Dec 22, 2009 at 3:48 PM

So the Angels can’t offer Darren Oliver arbitration because of bad free agent reliever contracts, so their solution to this problem is to sign another (presumably/potentially) bad-contract reliever? Doesn’t make sense to me.

3. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM

I’m in serious discussions with my right hand. Why can’t you feel more like the left? You’re more coordinated, so why is he more thrilling? Maybe I should mix and match them as closers, and keep the thrill alive.
    Rosie you’re alright – you wear my ring – when you hold me tight – Rosie that’s my thing
    With only you – and what I’ve found – we’ll wear the weary hours down

4. Raydahz - Dec 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Solid signing by the Angels. They couldn’t have gone in relying on the young Jepsen to perform as well as he did last year(see Arredondo).
    Always been a fan. Keep your hat the way it is Rodney! Our bullpen could use a little style and swagger too.

5. apple bottoms jeans - Dec 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Nelly released a new Apple Bottoms fragnance this autumn. Comments anyone? Apple bottom jeans

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey