Attention Yankees Fans: Brett Gardner is your starting left fielder

Dec 22, 2009, 4:39 PM EDT

I’m just casually monitoring the Brian Cashman/Javier Vazquez press conference. Of note: Cashman says that “Brett Gardner is now in a position to be an every day player for us.”  He also said “We’ll continue to look at any remaining pieces, but it’s not going to be a big piece.”

That seems to foreclose the possibility of Matt Holliday or even Johnny Damon, which are just two names a certain subset of strangely dissatisfied Yankees fans were buzzing about after the trade went down this morning.

1. BigBat - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:09 AM

What’s wrong with bringing back Hinske and Nady at reduce salaries? Why haven’t the Yanks talk to those guys. Hinske did nothing but hit homeruns when he played and he, in that lineup would be a scary DH. Nady, at reduce salary with incentives, coming of TJ surgery would be a good backup plan with tremendous potential. They can probably get those two guys at J. Damons’ asking price.

2. JudyJ - Dec 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Now that we have established what you are – SAWKS FAN – and your disdain for anything Yankee – well, our days together are over. I am sure your were treated well when you visited YS, not treated poorly as I was during my trip to Crapway Park. And, I didn’t even wear anything Yankee – just a regular citizen who paid outrageous prices for old beat-up seats. You will change over to the dark side if you have the sense to visit the new YS – an experience you will have to see for yourself. In the meantime, hang in there – cashing in the the WS and the SAWKS players getting a share of the winnings – that is priceless. Adios and Merry Christmas.

3. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Disdain? After my many posts extolling Cash as the best GM in sports? After touristing Monument Park? After giving the devil their due in saying the AL East title has been decided?
    We may be stuck with Fenway forever, the political situation of Boston (essential a whole host of warring Irish Mafia fiefdoms) may forever preclude a shiny new replacement park from happening. As a tall person I find the lyric little bandbox … well … lyric but very uncomfortable to sit in. I also can’t take my wife to the right field grandstand anymore, she’s completely unamused by the drunken Northeastern students passing around blowup dolls. Ah well. Maybe someday we can have our own shiny new toy where balls fly out of park on a magical jetstream, where every pathetic Johnny Damon pop-up has a chance to leave the premises … we can dream.

4. Josh - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:22 PM

What are you guys thinking?
    How is the yankees line-up to be better than last years? It’s not, last year they were dangerous in every spot in the lineup. The yankees got rid of their 2 best overall outfield players (Damon, Cabera) and kept the worse one of the 3. Granderson is a great pick up, but i still think they could use another hitter, I’d bring back Damon, and Gardner can do exactly what he did last season. which wasnt much, besides getting “Caught Stealing,” in every critical situation. The yankees, lose Damon and Matsui and replace them with guys that cant hit with the exception of Granderson. This yankee lineup just doesnt look very solid. Just wait come spring…when the yankees start out slow, and finish behind Boston in the Division.
    I know I’m right about this….

5. Josh - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM

What are you guys thinking?
    I know I’m right about this….

6. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I hope and pray that you’re right Josh. From your lips to God’s ears. If the Yankees don’t win the AL East this season I’ll pay Old Gator to ship you a horsemeat and velveeta sandwich on dry ice.

7. Timmy Hallett - Dec 24, 2009 at 2:27 AM

ideas to share to each reader. I hope to read more from you guys and continue that good work that

8. Phil - Jan 8, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Josh you poor sole! If you knew anything about baseball you’d be dangerous but thank God you don’t.
    Gardner & Granderson vs Melky & Damon (Defensively) Gardner outshines Damon without any contest. He covers more ground and has a better arm. Granderson vs Melky is even.
    Offensively- Gardner vs Melky with a slight edge to Melky camparing last years numbers but this is this year. Gardner will get more at bats and more exposure to “Kevin Long” who is by far the best hitting coach in baseball not to mention Gardner’s speed is electric and will manufacture runs which is the oly way to win Playoff and World Series Games.
    Damon vs Granderson…you’re under the impression that Damon could put up the same numbers this year as he did last year…not a given, he’ll be 37 years old…isn’t gonna happen. I know of at least 15 fly balls that Granderson hit in Detroit that would have been homeruns in NY… he easily hit 33 bombs in NY…slight edge to Granderson. Defense and Pitching wins games..Yanks are better at both for 2010-2011

9. Ron Malone - Jan 20, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Gardner and Granderson for Melky and Damon ?
    No comparison , Josh is absolutely right .You people need to read up on Damon’s stats ! Gardner is the worse excuse for a professinal baseball player I’ve ever seen. Show me some stats to support these ridculous ideas that Gardner is better than anyone . He’s the worst player in baseball and a buddy of Gerardi or he’d be back in South Carolina working at the local Shell station . Too funny, you people are !

10. Glenn Rock - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM

looking around for the best site to get one.

All the trade deadline news to know