Attention Yankees Fans: Brett Gardner is your starting left fielder

Dec 22, 2009, 4:39 PM EDT

I’m just casually monitoring the Brian Cashman/Javier Vazquez press conference. Of note: Cashman says that “Brett Gardner is now in a position to be an every day player for us.”  He also said “We’ll continue to look at any remaining pieces, but it’s not going to be a big piece.”

That seems to foreclose the possibility of Matt Holliday or even Johnny Damon, which are just two names a certain subset of strangely dissatisfied Yankees fans were buzzing about after the trade went down this morning.

1. Chuck - Dec 22, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Though I imagine that Gardner has about the same opportunity to be a starter as did Bubba Crosby just before Damon was first signed, he’d have to be the team’s centerfielder, no? Granderson would then presumably slide to left.

2. YankeesfanLen - Dec 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Cash just took another $4M off Johnny Damon’s life.

3. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 4:54 PM

They should have a different celebrity start in LF every game, then bring in Gardner to pinch run or hit or later as a defensive sub, depending on the skill level of the celeb. That way the bleacher creatures get to do a celeb in role-call. This gambit will help fill the overpriced rows and rows of empty seats, and should cost them at most 2-3 games, knocking them down to an expected win total of only 117 or so. I want to see Jason Alexander start one game in left.
    You can also trot out Yankee legends of the past – have Paul O’Neill start a game that he’s announcing, stuff like that.

4. John_Michael - Dec 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I’m fine with Gardner in LF. If he can increase is OBP a bit, ‘we’ will have 3 effective leadoff hitters at 1, 8 & 9.
    Jeter
    Johnson
    Teix
    ARod
    Posada
    Swisher
    Cano
    Granderson
    Gardner
    PS: Wow

5. JudyJ - Dec 22, 2009 at 5:16 PM

You may call yourself Eat a Peach and think we are stupid enough to think you are an Atlanta Fan. However, when Jason Bay says bye bye to your team, well, maybe you should think about who will play the outfield for your team. Maybe you can get Yaz to come back or Manny? The team has never been the same in more ways than one since Manny took the last flight to LA. Hope to see you in the ACLS in 2010 – that is if you get someone to play outfield.

6. archilochusColubris - Dec 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Oh such a good idea for this team in this circumstance… would be so entertaining, would draw in tons of revenue, and the Yanks could grab someone at the trade deadline to straighten up for the WS.

7. Tom - Dec 22, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I’m not sure I believe this. Even though their offense is really good why would you want to throw away offense at one position? I just find it hard to believe that Yankees would employ the worst LF’er in all of baseball.
    Is there another expensive outfielder on a bad team that the Yankees could trade for? I wonder if they would be interested in taking Carlos Lee off the Astros hands?

8. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM

The Sox and Yanks are in a competition to see who can have the fastest most banjo-hittingest left fielder. Gardiner vs. Ellsbury.
    I totally think you’re that stupid, but I’m still not trying to sell anyone I’m a Braves fan. I’m an Allman Brothers fan, and a fan of peace. So I want everyone out there to eat a peach for peace. Even yours, sweetheart.
    I’m also a realist, and I think the Yankees locked up the East today.

9. jeff - Dec 22, 2009 at 6:14 PM

you mean since manny the cancer was run out of town don’t you? bay will end up as a met because they are the only ones willing to pay what his inflated ego thinks he is worth. he had his moments for the sox at the plate but he was far from gold-glove in the field and his arm is weak. filling in for manny is the only thing that has produced the short-lived hype for him. we’ve got the outfield covered. there’ll be a move for a 1st or 3rd baseman since i don’t see lowell playing another game in beantown. just pissed theo off – wait until trade talks to say ouch – my thumb hurts? bad move. not that i blame him for wanting to avoid texas!

10. XTrust_No1X - Dec 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Judy….Don’t let these morons from that hack slimey city in Baaston get to you. Just remember, while the jerkoffs have to sit in that rat infested Crapway park, a team that had to cheat and have their players take steroids(As in Big Sloppy, the Dunce Princess manny, vericu*t, pukolis and the rest) to finally win a World Series after losing for 86 straight years (hahahahahaha), then again, in 2007, both are tainted chamionships that should have astericks next to them. And, where were those champs last year???? And, who won their 27th World Series Champpionship in their brand new, biggest and best Shrine to greatness in it’s very first year???? So judy, let these morons from that slimy thrid rate slum talk all they want, because Halley’s Comet will return again before the Redsux win another championship!

11. sdrdpt - Dec 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I would bat Cano 6th. He has earned it.

12. atlbsky - Dec 22, 2009 at 7:02 PM

From an Atlanta fan, this deal stinks. We give up a Cy Young candidate, for two long shot prospects and a guy that didn’t hit any better for the Yankees than Jeff Francouer hit for the Braves. I would tell you in my best sailor language how I really feel about this deal, but as much as I hate the Yankees, at least they have an owner that’s committed to winning. The Braves have an owner that’s committed to fielding an average team and charging their fans $20 for a hot dog and a soda to watch them finish another season as an also-ran.

13. Frank X. Barlow - Dec 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM

You get more money to buy a free agent, and I’m not convinced the Braves are done dealing. Why not eat a little salary and trade Derek Lowe. They can use Kris Medlen as their 5th starter, and he’d be in the top 5 of 5th starters in baseball. I think Medlen might be better right now than Derek Lowe anyhow.
    Javy was only under contract for this season. Melky is a useful and affordable piece, you also got the Yankees 2nd best prospect and a LOOGY who may crack the 25-man roster next season.
    Oh, and on his worst day Melky is a much better hitter than Frenchy.

14. The Rabbit - Dec 22, 2009 at 7:22 PM

They should have a different celebrity start in LF every game

Great marketing idea…Definitely could be a draw for minor league teams like the Mets, Pirates, Royals, and the Nationals. Might not cost them any games.
    The largest potential problem in NY is that Donald Trump and his ego would want to play. That’s at least 2 positions.

15. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 7:29 PM

What Yankee fan wouldn’t want a chance to role-call then foot for Billy Crystal in left? Trump, Rudi, they all get a night, there’s 81 home games!
    Who wouldn’t love this? The thing about the Yankees doing it is that they’re so good that it’s almost perched on the precipice of reality. Those other teams can’t really do it, but the Yanks actually probably could if they had the necessary … Veeck-like quality.

16. Pimpin PEte - Dec 22, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Jay-Z is pretty much guaranteed the LF job anyway

17. The Rabbit - Dec 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Funny you should mention it…because Bill Veeck and Billy Crystal were the two names I immediately envisioned when I read your post.
    Last season, I actually thought a few teams searching for managers should save the salary and have attendee drawings for “the manager of the day” as a daily promotion. Given some of the rosters, a knowledgeable fan couldn’t do any worse than a “professional” manager.

18. Wildy Haskell - Dec 22, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I suspect that if Gardner plays every day he will be in Center and Granderson in left. Gardner has trememdous speed and may be among the best CFs in baseball as an every day player. I suspect that working with Kevin Long we’ll see him reach his potential as a .280 hitter with an OBS in the .380-.400 range eventually. Add that to the steals he’ll rack up and you’re talking about an eventual lead off hitter that would allow Jeter to move back to the 2-hole.
    I don’t think this is at all far-fetched, but it may take a little time to play out. I personally thought they were wasting Gardner’s talent last season.

19. jv - Dec 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM

THAT IS THE BEST IDEA YET…….Imagine seeing Jay-Z limping out to left field with a benz sign hangin from his neck…..hat to the side

20. LenLOL - Dec 23, 2009 at 1:27 AM

No Yankee commentary is complete without the idiocy of Len the Yankees fan.

21. JudyJ - Dec 23, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Looks like you are a piece of work yourself lover boy. Everything I said has a ring to it – wouldn’t you say?

22. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I’m all that and then some / tall dark and handsome
    I’m sure everything you say has a ring in your own ears. We don’t miss Manny, believe me. He hasn’t won any rings in LA either, unless I missed something.
    Judy Judy Judy – I’m a baseball fan first, Sox fan second. I’ve been to the HOF three times, and even went to see a game at the second newest Yankee Stadium before they moved across the street. I got there early, and went through Monument Park, and noted how it was like the HOF, only distilled. Except for that Rizzuto character, of course
    Putting in that low-talent banjo-hitting defensive artist should have resulted in the permanent shuttering of the Veterans Committee – no more clubby lifetime achievement awards for guys they liked.
    It burns me to this day that Phil Rizzuto is in the HOF and Bert Blyleven isn’t.

23. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I agree on the Manny thing, Theo is a cocky dude,.
    Funny how NO SAUX PLAYER EVER USED STEROIDS- WINK WINK-
    AND THEY ALL HAVE BROKEN DOWN.

24. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM

HE DID MAKE THE YANKEE HAT MORE FAMOUS THAN A YANKEE CAN…..
    NEW YORKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

25. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 23, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Bert Blyleven does belong in the HOF, Jack Morris too.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2982)