Dec 22, 2009, 1:30 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that Matt Capps has narrowed his choice of teams down to either the Cubs or Nationals and will make a decision by tomorrow night.
No fewer than a half-dozen teams have been seriously linked to Capps since he was non-tendered by the Pirates, so he figures to end up with more money than he would’ve gotten from Pittsburgh anyway. Chicago and Washington offer much different situations, so the choice will say a lot about Capps’ priorities.
He’d get a chance to close for the Nationals, but may have to take something less than the maximum possible salary to do so and would be playing for a bad team. For the Cubs he’d be a setup man for closer Carlos Marmol, but the money might be better and the team definitely will be. Closing for a bad team or setting up for a contender?
Or maybe he’ll just choose whichever opportunity offers him the most possible money. Yeah, probably that.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)