Dec 22, 2009, 1:30 PM EST
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that Matt Capps has narrowed his choice of teams down to either the Cubs or Nationals and will make a decision by tomorrow night.
No fewer than a half-dozen teams have been seriously linked to Capps since he was non-tendered by the Pirates, so he figures to end up with more money than he would’ve gotten from Pittsburgh anyway. Chicago and Washington offer much different situations, so the choice will say a lot about Capps’ priorities.
He’d get a chance to close for the Nationals, but may have to take something less than the maximum possible salary to do so and would be playing for a bad team. For the Cubs he’d be a setup man for closer Carlos Marmol, but the money might be better and the team definitely will be. Closing for a bad team or setting up for a contender?
Or maybe he’ll just choose whichever opportunity offers him the most possible money. Yeah, probably that.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (124)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)