Dec 22, 2009, 1:30 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that Matt Capps has narrowed his choice of teams down to either the Cubs or Nationals and will make a decision by tomorrow night.
No fewer than a half-dozen teams have been seriously linked to Capps since he was non-tendered by the Pirates, so he figures to end up with more money than he would’ve gotten from Pittsburgh anyway. Chicago and Washington offer much different situations, so the choice will say a lot about Capps’ priorities.
He’d get a chance to close for the Nationals, but may have to take something less than the maximum possible salary to do so and would be playing for a bad team. For the Cubs he’d be a setup man for closer Carlos Marmol, but the money might be better and the team definitely will be. Closing for a bad team or setting up for a contender?
Or maybe he’ll just choose whichever opportunity offers him the most possible money. Yeah, probably that.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)