Dec 22, 2009, 1:30 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that Matt Capps has narrowed his choice of teams down to either the Cubs or Nationals and will make a decision by tomorrow night.
No fewer than a half-dozen teams have been seriously linked to Capps since he was non-tendered by the Pirates, so he figures to end up with more money than he would’ve gotten from Pittsburgh anyway. Chicago and Washington offer much different situations, so the choice will say a lot about Capps’ priorities.
He’d get a chance to close for the Nationals, but may have to take something less than the maximum possible salary to do so and would be playing for a bad team. For the Cubs he’d be a setup man for closer Carlos Marmol, but the money might be better and the team definitely will be. Closing for a bad team or setting up for a contender?
Or maybe he’ll just choose whichever opportunity offers him the most possible money. Yeah, probably that.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (96)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)