Dec 22, 2009, 1:30 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that Matt Capps has narrowed his choice of teams down to either the Cubs or Nationals and will make a decision by tomorrow night.
No fewer than a half-dozen teams have been seriously linked to Capps since he was non-tendered by the Pirates, so he figures to end up with more money than he would’ve gotten from Pittsburgh anyway. Chicago and Washington offer much different situations, so the choice will say a lot about Capps’ priorities.
He’d get a chance to close for the Nationals, but may have to take something less than the maximum possible salary to do so and would be playing for a bad team. For the Cubs he’d be a setup man for closer Carlos Marmol, but the money might be better and the team definitely will be. Closing for a bad team or setting up for a contender?
Or maybe he’ll just choose whichever opportunity offers him the most possible money. Yeah, probably that.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)