Dec 22, 2009, 6:15 PM EDT
Via Dodger Thoughts, comes word from Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw that his great uncle discovered Pluto. No real context there. Kershaw just asserts it in response to a question about, um, Pluto. OK, I’m guessing that was a plant by someone who knew that Kershaw’s uncle discovered Pluto. If Wikipedia is to be believed, Kershaw’s uncle is either Clyde Tombaugh — who is credited with the discovery — or Percival Lowell, who captured the first photos, though he didn’t know it at the time. If Kershaw is related to Lowell, my opinion of him just went way down, because really it was Tombaugh who put two and two together.
Er, yeah, this may stretch the boundaries of what constitutes baseball news, but (a) you learned something today; and (b) the next time you see Clayton Kershaw, you’re going to think of Pluto, and that has to count for something.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)