Dec 22, 2009, 6:15 PM EDT
Via Dodger Thoughts, comes word from Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw that his great uncle discovered Pluto. No real context there. Kershaw just asserts it in response to a question about, um, Pluto. OK, I’m guessing that was a plant by someone who knew that Kershaw’s uncle discovered Pluto. If Wikipedia is to be believed, Kershaw’s uncle is either Clyde Tombaugh — who is credited with the discovery — or Percival Lowell, who captured the first photos, though he didn’t know it at the time. If Kershaw is related to Lowell, my opinion of him just went way down, because really it was Tombaugh who put two and two together.
Er, yeah, this may stretch the boundaries of what constitutes baseball news, but (a) you learned something today; and (b) the next time you see Clayton Kershaw, you’re going to think of Pluto, and that has to count for something.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)