Dec 22, 2009, 6:15 PM EDT
Via Dodger Thoughts, comes word from Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw that his great uncle discovered Pluto. No real context there. Kershaw just asserts it in response to a question about, um, Pluto. OK, I’m guessing that was a plant by someone who knew that Kershaw’s uncle discovered Pluto. If Wikipedia is to be believed, Kershaw’s uncle is either Clyde Tombaugh — who is credited with the discovery — or Percival Lowell, who captured the first photos, though he didn’t know it at the time. If Kershaw is related to Lowell, my opinion of him just went way down, because really it was Tombaugh who put two and two together.
Er, yeah, this may stretch the boundaries of what constitutes baseball news, but (a) you learned something today; and (b) the next time you see Clayton Kershaw, you’re going to think of Pluto, and that has to count for something.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)