Dec 22, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi report that, rather than the Mets-only show it has appeared to be so far, there are as many as four teams in on Jason Bay: the Mets, Mariners, Giants
Not that there is any stunning movement here or anything. The FOX guys note that the Mariners have no real need or desire to go long on a corner outfielder with prospects Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley in the pipeline. The assessment of the Giants’ chances tells a less than compelling story: “it’s ‘not
impossible’ to envision them signing Bay or Matt Holliday.” The Angels don’t have an unlimited budget, and if the dish in Aaron’s last post is
to be believed, they’re spending a chunk of it on yet another expensive reliever.
We pass this all along because that’s our job here, but personally, I’m not going to believe that Bay is going anywhere but to Queens and Holliday is going anywhere but St. Louis until someone reports that serious talks are actually happening, because both Bay and Holliday’s representation have such an incentive — and in Boras’ case, a track record — of creating buzz out of wishes, gossamer and belly button lint.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 160
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (160)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)