Dec 22, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi report that, rather than the Mets-only show it has appeared to be so far, there are as many as four teams in on Jason Bay: the Mets, Mariners, Giants
Not that there is any stunning movement here or anything. The FOX guys note that the Mariners have no real need or desire to go long on a corner outfielder with prospects Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley in the pipeline. The assessment of the Giants’ chances tells a less than compelling story: “it’s ‘not
impossible’ to envision them signing Bay or Matt Holliday.” The Angels don’t have an unlimited budget, and if the dish in Aaron’s last post is
to be believed, they’re spending a chunk of it on yet another expensive reliever.
We pass this all along because that’s our job here, but personally, I’m not going to believe that Bay is going anywhere but to Queens and Holliday is going anywhere but St. Louis until someone reports that serious talks are actually happening, because both Bay and Holliday’s representation have such an incentive — and in Boras’ case, a track record — of creating buzz out of wishes, gossamer and belly button lint.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47