Halladay says goodbye with class

Dec 22, 2009, 2:17 PM EDT

Roy Halladay took out an ad in the Toronto Sun thanking Blue Jays fans for their “overwhelming passion and devotion.” I assume he meant during those times when it wasn’t Leafs season.

Seriously though, nice move by Halladay, a man about whom I’ve never read or heard a discouraging or disparaging word.

Fun: The linked article does a quick rundown of other athletes who have done the full page ad thing. Johnny Damon, Trevor Hoffman, Mike Sweeney, Drew Bledsoe and even Pacman Jones. I seem to remember a whole bunch more. Makes me think that the gesture, however nice it is, is a bit passe.

I mean, really, Akinori Iwamura took out a full-page ad when he got traded from the Rays to Pirates last month, and he played there for only a couple of seasons for cryin’ out loud. If that doesn’t put us in mid-air over the shark, we’ve certainly strapped on the skis, haven’t we? All of which makes me wonder who will be the first person to escalate things. I mean, newspapers are dying, right? At some point an athlete is going to really up the ante in the “thanks for your support” race.

My guess: Derek Jeter takes out thirty minutes of TV time when he announces his retirement. A full-blown Obama-style deal, where he’s on all of the major networks. Except he’s so smooth with the P.R. stuff he knows that no one wants to hear him talk that long so he speaks for ten minutes and the uses the rest of the time to air previously unseen footage from the 1932 World Series the he bought from some old widow or something.

1. lar @ wezen-ball - Dec 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing for a while, Craig. The first time I heard of it, Piazza did it to thank the Los Angeles fans. I thought it was pretty cool of him, but, who knows, maybe he was just another in a long string of players doing the same thing.
    I love the Jeter vision. That sounds about right.
    You know we’re truly over the shark, though, when you hear that Milton Bradley took out an ad in the Chicago Tribune…

2. MarkH - Dec 22, 2009 at 2:54 PM

An increasing number of athletes making an effort to publicly thank their team’s fans in a gracious manner is jumping the shark? Um…no, actually? Just a guess.
    I’m guessing Chicago fans pulled a reverse and took out an ad thanking the Cubs for getting rid of Bradley.

3. aleskel - Dec 22, 2009 at 3:22 PM

“he’s so smooth with the P.R. stuff he knows that no one wants to hear him talk that long so he speaks for ten minutes and the uses the rest of the time to air previously unseen footage from the 1932 World Series the he bought from some old widow or something.”
    … actually, that sounds like a damn good idea. I’d watch the hell out of that.

4. TimberLee - Dec 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Mr. CC, why are you not in charge of the world? You have some brilliant visions.

5. The TC - Dec 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM

GOOD PLAN EVERYBODY.

6. Andrew Kwon - Dec 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Dave Stieb left bitter. Geroge Bell was also pissed. Almoar too, he went from being #1 to 0. Delgado left some people bitter for using the ntc he got as a contractual right, then was insulted with a 6 million dollar contract before signing for many many times that with the lowly Marlins (no offense but they don’t spend big).
    Halladay leaves with the jays in a state of disaster and everyone is happy for him. Including me. It may overdone lately, but I still think it was a very nice thing Roy did and I think him for allowing us the honor of seeing most of his prime. I look forward to seeing him pitch in the playoffs.

7. baron von vulturewins - Dec 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Small note: The Fonz jumped the shark — literally, which is where this metaphor comes from — on a motorcycle. Not on skis. Not sure how one would jump sharks on skis, actually. You’d likely either have a bone-dry ramp or frozen shark tank.
    I do enjoy the idea of the Fonz on skis, however.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 23, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Sorry Baron, but you’re wrong. The Fonz jumped the shark on water skis:
    He jumped over a bunch of garbage cans or milk jugs or barrels or something on his motorcycle.

9. baron von vulturewins - Dec 23, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Dang! You are correct. My apologies for questioning your shark-jumping acumen.
    Boy, the Fonz looks awesome in that leather jacket, short-shorts, and that weird yellow buoy-thingy around his waist.
    Great blog, btw.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3694)