Is Bay still a possibility for the Red Sox?

Dec 22, 2009, 11:37 AM EST

I can’t see it. You have Cameron, Ellsbury, and Drew in the outfield. You have Ortiz at DH. Where on Earth would Jason Bay play, and why would the Red Sox pay him five years regardless? Yet you have the Boston Herald’s Mike Silverman saying “It remains unlikely, but still within the realm of possibility, that
either Holliday or Bay could wind up falling into the Red Sox’ laps.”

The only basis he has for such a thing is that (a) Bay has not yet accepted the Mets’ offer; and (b) there was some indication in the Bay camp yesterday that talks were active, and the Mets wouldn’t be talking unless there was another team on the scene.

My guess: this is more market-making by Bay’s agent or Holliday’s agent or what have you. Someone whispers to someone that something may be happening who whispers it along to someone else and by then it’s almost, but not entirely inaccurate to say that “there’s Jason Bay talk.”

And no, I do not claim to be above goin’ along with it. This kind of chatter is the whole point of the hot stove season, right?

1. ecp - Dec 22, 2009 at 11:53 AM

That’s so they can include Ellsbury in a trade for Adrian Gonzalez.
    Yeah, right.

2. John_Michael - Dec 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM

The Bosox and Yankees are going to continue to one-up each other until one team sets up a pitching prospect training camp in Cuba focused kids with rocket arms. Tensions will be high during the 13 days Selig surrounds each GM’s office with a brigade of lawyers, not letting any email go in or out.

3. Jack Marshall - Dec 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I’ll confess now my personal Bay mystery: I believe the fielding stats on him because they have been so consistent, but it’s sure hard to see it. I’ve watched every game Bay has played since he came to Boston. It looks like he gets to most balls he should get to; he doesn’t look confused in left, like Manny or Mike Greenwell. He hits his cutoff men and plays the wall well. I haven’t seen him narrowly missing balls or having a lot of them scooting by him to the wall.
    He’s not fast, but he’s athletic, makes his share of sliding catches by the foul lines. Without the stats, I’d never suspect that he was worse than average in left.

4. Joey B - Dec 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

“I could see the Red Sox re-signing Bay as part of a plan to pick up Gonzalez from S.D. Nobody seriously believes that the Team will start the season with Kotchman at first, do they? Or with Lowell the mainstay at 3rd?
    I’ll confess now my personal Bay mystery: I believe the fielding stats on him because they have been so consistent, but it’s sure hard to see it.”
    Yeah, I beleive that Kotchman can start. The Angels and Braves certainly thought so, enough to draft Kotchman high, and then have Atl trade Tex for him. Minor league stats were good, and at least one good full season in the pros. I think we’ll continue to pursue other options, but unless the option is someone prohibitively expensive, like Gonzo, then I can see a Kotchman, Lowell, VMart platoon.
    IRT to Bay, I agree. He was worse than I expected, but not as bad as some of the stats indicated. I’m very comfortable going with great defense and less hitting with Cameron, but this guy is no Wily MO. More like Manny, who was underrated.

5. Jack Marshall - Dec 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Joey, I can’t agree on Manny at all. He was good at making an occasional spectacular-looking catch on a ball any other outfielder would have caught in his mouth, and he had an accurate arm, but Bay looks like Darren Lewis compared to Manny. I think he was OVER-rated.
    And there was always the possibility that he would do something unbelievably dumb, like cutting of Damon’s throw. Don’t get me started.

6. John Pileggi - Dec 22, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Looks like Messrs. Holliday and Bay either hate the idea of Mets and/or Cards, or the competition is thin.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester