Dec 22, 2009, 2:29 AM EDT
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times found some people to say some nice things about new Seattle Mariner Milton Bradley, and it seems the man Lou Piniella called a “piece of s***” might not be so foul after all.
“Everyone gets him wrong, man,” said reliever Eddie Guardado, who was a Texas teammate of Bradley’s during his best (and least disruptive) season, when the switch-hitter led the American League with a .999 OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) in 2008.
“To the media, he’s not very outgoing, very quiet. But by no means is he a distraction in the clubhouse. He’s ready to play every day. He’s different, no doubt. I got along with him great; a lot of guys got along with him great. He’s a good asset to that team [the Mariners]. Milton can flat-out hit.”
I was thinking of making a crack about Tiger Woods hiring Guardado to handle his PR, but the story doesn’t end with Guardado.
Former Padres GM Kevin Towers, Padres manager Bud Black, and former A’s manager Ken Macha all praised Bradley, too.
Even Piniella concedes that Seattle might be a good fit for Bradley, especially with Ken Griffey Jr., a player Bradley admires, on the team.
Of course there are plenty of people around baseball not buying any of this. So where do you fall? Can Bradley turn over a new leaf, or should we just start the meltdown clock now?
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)