Dec 22, 2009, 2:29 AM EDT
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times found some people to say some nice things about new Seattle Mariner Milton Bradley, and it seems the man Lou Piniella called a “piece of s***” might not be so foul after all.
“Everyone gets him wrong, man,” said reliever Eddie Guardado, who was a Texas teammate of Bradley’s during his best (and least disruptive) season, when the switch-hitter led the American League with a .999 OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) in 2008.
“To the media, he’s not very outgoing, very quiet. But by no means is he a distraction in the clubhouse. He’s ready to play every day. He’s different, no doubt. I got along with him great; a lot of guys got along with him great. He’s a good asset to that team [the Mariners]. Milton can flat-out hit.”
I was thinking of making a crack about Tiger Woods hiring Guardado to handle his PR, but the story doesn’t end with Guardado.
Former Padres GM Kevin Towers, Padres manager Bud Black, and former A’s manager Ken Macha all praised Bradley, too.
Even Piniella concedes that Seattle might be a good fit for Bradley, especially with Ken Griffey Jr., a player Bradley admires, on the team.
Of course there are plenty of people around baseball not buying any of this. So where do you fall? Can Bradley turn over a new leaf, or should we just start the meltdown clock now?
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 8
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 94
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (94)