Dec 22, 2009, 1:50 PM EDT
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com looks at the two non-Melkys in the Vazquez deal. He says Arodys Vizcaino “looks like a high-end rotation prospect with a ton of upside.” Of course at 19 it’s way too early to know what he’ll turn into. As for Michael Dunn: he sounds like Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh. Well, maybe not that extreme, but definitely a good stuff, bad command kind of guy.
Meanwhile, everyone who wants to dump on the Braves end of the trade seems to forget that in addition to Melky and the pitchers, the Braves got $9-10 million bucks to play with as a result of not having to pay Vazquez. Jayson Stark suggests Dan Uggla or Xavier Nady. Ken Rosenthal wonders whether Mark DeRosa, Marlon Byrd or Adam LaRoche could sign with Atlanta.
Not sure how I feel about any of those guys, but the point is this: the Braves may not have gotten the best deal from the Yankees and should have tried to do better, but unless they really screw up the spending of the Vazquez dividend, they are likely to be a stronger team on opening day than they were when we woke up this morning, and that’s the name of the game, isn’t it?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)