Dec 22, 2009, 1:50 PM EDT
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com looks at the two non-Melkys in the Vazquez deal. He says Arodys Vizcaino “looks like a high-end rotation prospect with a ton of upside.” Of course at 19 it’s way too early to know what he’ll turn into. As for Michael Dunn: he sounds like Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh. Well, maybe not that extreme, but definitely a good stuff, bad command kind of guy.
Meanwhile, everyone who wants to dump on the Braves end of the trade seems to forget that in addition to Melky and the pitchers, the Braves got $9-10 million bucks to play with as a result of not having to pay Vazquez. Jayson Stark suggests Dan Uggla or Xavier Nady. Ken Rosenthal wonders whether Mark DeRosa, Marlon Byrd or Adam LaRoche could sign with Atlanta.
Not sure how I feel about any of those guys, but the point is this: the Braves may not have gotten the best deal from the Yankees and should have tried to do better, but unless they really screw up the spending of the Vazquez dividend, they are likely to be a stronger team on opening day than they were when we woke up this morning, and that’s the name of the game, isn’t it?
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)