Dec 22, 2009, 1:50 PM EST
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com looks at the two non-Melkys in the Vazquez deal. He says Arodys Vizcaino “looks like a high-end rotation prospect with a ton of upside.” Of course at 19 it’s way too early to know what he’ll turn into. As for Michael Dunn: he sounds like Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh. Well, maybe not that extreme, but definitely a good stuff, bad command kind of guy.
Meanwhile, everyone who wants to dump on the Braves end of the trade seems to forget that in addition to Melky and the pitchers, the Braves got $9-10 million bucks to play with as a result of not having to pay Vazquez. Jayson Stark suggests Dan Uggla or Xavier Nady. Ken Rosenthal wonders whether Mark DeRosa, Marlon Byrd or Adam LaRoche could sign with Atlanta.
Not sure how I feel about any of those guys, but the point is this: the Braves may not have gotten the best deal from the Yankees and should have tried to do better, but unless they really screw up the spending of the Vazquez dividend, they are likely to be a stronger team on opening day than they were when we woke up this morning, and that’s the name of the game, isn’t it?
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)