Dec 22, 2009, 5:45 PM EST
So tweets MLB.com’s Bill Ladson. He says that if the Nats sign Hudson, Cristian Guzman would go back to short.
Which would blow my mind just a little bit considering that just over a month ago the Nats made a big point of telling Guzman and Nats fans everywhere that defense is too important with a young pitching staff and that he would no longer be manning short. At the time Jim Riggleman and various other people were talking up Nats’ shortstop prospect Ian Desmond as someone who could fill the role if an Adam Everett or Alex Gonzalez could not be had.
No, Desmond’s bat is not ready yet, but his glove is said to be great and he’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Orlando Hudson is going to be, so why not stick him next to Ryan Zimmerman, thereby giving Stephen Strasburg and Jason Marquis and everyone some confidence that if a right handed hitter pulls one on the ground, it’s gonna get snagged?
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)