Dec 22, 2009, 5:45 PM EDT
So tweets MLB.com’s Bill Ladson. He says that if the Nats sign Hudson, Cristian Guzman would go back to short.
Which would blow my mind just a little bit considering that just over a month ago the Nats made a big point of telling Guzman and Nats fans everywhere that defense is too important with a young pitching staff and that he would no longer be manning short. At the time Jim Riggleman and various other people were talking up Nats’ shortstop prospect Ian Desmond as someone who could fill the role if an Adam Everett or Alex Gonzalez could not be had.
No, Desmond’s bat is not ready yet, but his glove is said to be great and he’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Orlando Hudson is going to be, so why not stick him next to Ryan Zimmerman, thereby giving Stephen Strasburg and Jason Marquis and everyone some confidence that if a right handed hitter pulls one on the ground, it’s gonna get snagged?
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)