Dec 22, 2009, 5:45 PM EDT
So tweets MLB.com’s Bill Ladson. He says that if the Nats sign Hudson, Cristian Guzman would go back to short.
Which would blow my mind just a little bit considering that just over a month ago the Nats made a big point of telling Guzman and Nats fans everywhere that defense is too important with a young pitching staff and that he would no longer be manning short. At the time Jim Riggleman and various other people were talking up Nats’ shortstop prospect Ian Desmond as someone who could fill the role if an Adam Everett or Alex Gonzalez could not be had.
No, Desmond’s bat is not ready yet, but his glove is said to be great and he’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Orlando Hudson is going to be, so why not stick him next to Ryan Zimmerman, thereby giving Stephen Strasburg and Jason Marquis and everyone some confidence that if a right handed hitter pulls one on the ground, it’s gonna get snagged?
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 5
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 172
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (172)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)