Dec 22, 2009, 5:45 PM EDT
So tweets MLB.com’s Bill Ladson. He says that if the Nats sign Hudson, Cristian Guzman would go back to short.
Which would blow my mind just a little bit considering that just over a month ago the Nats made a big point of telling Guzman and Nats fans everywhere that defense is too important with a young pitching staff and that he would no longer be manning short. At the time Jim Riggleman and various other people were talking up Nats’ shortstop prospect Ian Desmond as someone who could fill the role if an Adam Everett or Alex Gonzalez could not be had.
No, Desmond’s bat is not ready yet, but his glove is said to be great and he’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Orlando Hudson is going to be, so why not stick him next to Ryan Zimmerman, thereby giving Stephen Strasburg and Jason Marquis and everyone some confidence that if a right handed hitter pulls one on the ground, it’s gonna get snagged?
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 5
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 7
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)