Yankees fan convicted of killing Red Sox fan

Dec 22, 2009, 12:09 PM EDT

The Rivalry has a body count:

A New Hampshire woman has been convicted of
second-degree murder for hitting a man with her car after he taunted her for
being a New York Yankees fan . . . [Ivonne Hernandez] was accused of killing 29-year-old Matthew Beaudoin in a
Nashua parking lot in May 2008.

Hernandez testified that she was terrified because Beaudoin and others
harassed her about the Yankees sticker on her car and pounded on her windows
when she made a comment about how many World Series they had won compared with
the Boston Red Sox

I haven’t read the trial testimony or anything, but I can’t help but think that the substance of this is being misrepresented or at least overblown.  Back when I first wrote about these people, the victim’s girlfriend was telling the press that the Yankees-Red Sox angle had nothing to do with this, and that there was an underlying dispute. I tended to believe the girlfriend because no one is so psycho that they’re going to get into what amounts to a death battle over baseball teams, right?

But apparently there’s at least something to it.  In any event, to be on the safe side, the next time I start a Yankees-Sox thread, let’s all chill out in the comments, OK?

1. Lawrence From Plattekill - Dec 22, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I wonder if it was possible for her to get a fair trial in Red Sox Nation.

2. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM

YEAH CRAIG, THAT WILL PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING IN THE FUTURE.
    CAN YOU WORK ON WORLD PEACE NEXT?

3. Edger - Dec 22, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Too bad she wasn’t driving a bus I’m sure there were lots of Red Sox fans in that parking lot.

4. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM

You should hook up with that chiquita you all caps moron. She seems like your kind of psychotic idiot. Why don’t you go back on the NAMBLA website now.

5. Old Gator - Dec 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Peach, what is this thing with all-caps that gets to you like that? Do you have a hereditary predisposition against it, or is this some kind of Manchurian Candidate thing?

6. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM

All caps is simply rude and stupid unless you’re Owen Meany. Or the anthropomorphic personification of Death. Listen, I don’t make the rules, I just enforce them with an iron fist that has tiny sharp tenderizing spikes welded to each knuckle.

7. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I have a splitting headache from cognitive dissonance. Everyone knows this TigerS Boy ToY is the type of dangerous sociopath who leaves his all caps button on and punctuates sentences he wants to have a little extra zing on them with multiple multiple exclamation points!!!!! And yet when asked to describe him, all I can think to say is that he is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I’ve ever known in my life.
    My head hurts.

8. Old Gator - Dec 22, 2009 at 10:46 PM

There’s an alternative motivation, although it doesn’t preclude stupid. Namely, that people who write in a-caps do it because they have either forgotten or don’t know when to capitalize. I cringe at correspondents who write in all lower case letters. If all a-caps is like shouting, I guess that’d be what, the equivalent of mumbling?
    In any event I take comfort in your presence on this blog as the second coming of Edwin Newman. Craig was really worried that I would be lonely here. Mere literacy is at a premium. Hell, some of these people are like early Cormac McCarthy characters. For all we know, TigerS Boy ToY could be the illegitimate offspring of Lester Ballard and one of his dead girlfriends.
    Then again, this is a sports blog. It’s not the kind of company I’m used to over on the quantum theory homepage but it’s kind of fun to be surrounded by idiots once in a while. If you can keep that cognitive dissonance under control, anyway.

9. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Cormac Mac, necrophilia, now things are starting to heat up here, yessirree. I am quite relieved that the BAU finally caught up to old Lester. At first he was just gathering what another man spilled, but I didn’t appreciate how proactive he became in pursuing his particular thrill.
    I’m not a huge fan of quantum theory, but I freely acknowledge that it makes for some incredibly cool t-shirts.

10. Old Gator - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I think those t-shirts are derived from chaos theory, Peach. Nothing quantum about a Mandelbrot Set – which, by the way, always reminded me of a fleur di lis with really bad psoriasis.

11. Old Gator - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Oh, yeah, and one other thing. If you think Lester will heat things up around here, imagine how hot they’d be if Steinbrenner’s alzheimer’s disease hadn’t cheated me of the opportunity to bring up Judge Holden.

12. Latrisha Viano - Jan 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post.

13. garmin zumo 550 best price - Feb 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Hi there, when viewing at your blog i see some kind of weird codes all over the page, in case it’s important I just thought I’d let you know it says this with all sorts of other stuff after it: “Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent in wp-settings.php line 12″

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5546)