Dec 22, 2009, 12:09 PM EDT
A New Hampshire woman has been convicted of
second-degree murder for hitting a man with her car after he taunted her for
being a New York Yankees fan . . . [Ivonne Hernandez] was accused of killing 29-year-old Matthew Beaudoin in a
Nashua parking lot in May 2008.
Hernandez testified that she was terrified because Beaudoin and others
harassed her about the Yankees sticker on her car and pounded on her windows
when she made a comment about how many World Series they had won compared with
the Boston Red Sox.
I haven’t read the trial testimony or anything, but I can’t help but think that the substance of this is being misrepresented or at least overblown. Back when I first wrote about these people, the victim’s girlfriend was telling the press that the Yankees-Red Sox angle had nothing to do with this, and that there was an underlying dispute. I tended to believe the girlfriend because no one is so psycho that they’re going to get into what amounts to a death battle over baseball teams, right?
But apparently there’s at least something to it. In any event, to be on the safe side, the next time I start a Yankees-Sox thread, let’s all chill out in the comments, OK?
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)