Dec 22, 2009, 12:09 PM EST
A New Hampshire woman has been convicted of
second-degree murder for hitting a man with her car after he taunted her for
being a New York Yankees fan . . . [Ivonne Hernandez] was accused of killing 29-year-old Matthew Beaudoin in a
Nashua parking lot in May 2008.
Hernandez testified that she was terrified because Beaudoin and others
harassed her about the Yankees sticker on her car and pounded on her windows
when she made a comment about how many World Series they had won compared with
the Boston Red Sox.
I haven’t read the trial testimony or anything, but I can’t help but think that the substance of this is being misrepresented or at least overblown. Back when I first wrote about these people, the victim’s girlfriend was telling the press that the Yankees-Red Sox angle had nothing to do with this, and that there was an underlying dispute. I tended to believe the girlfriend because no one is so psycho that they’re going to get into what amounts to a death battle over baseball teams, right?
But apparently there’s at least something to it. In any event, to be on the safe side, the next time I start a Yankees-Sox thread, let’s all chill out in the comments, OK?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 107
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (107)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)