Dec 22, 2009, 12:09 PM EST
A New Hampshire woman has been convicted of
second-degree murder for hitting a man with her car after he taunted her for
being a New York Yankees fan . . . [Ivonne Hernandez] was accused of killing 29-year-old Matthew Beaudoin in a
Nashua parking lot in May 2008.
Hernandez testified that she was terrified because Beaudoin and others
harassed her about the Yankees sticker on her car and pounded on her windows
when she made a comment about how many World Series they had won compared with
the Boston Red Sox.
I haven’t read the trial testimony or anything, but I can’t help but think that the substance of this is being misrepresented or at least overblown. Back when I first wrote about these people, the victim’s girlfriend was telling the press that the Yankees-Red Sox angle had nothing to do with this, and that there was an underlying dispute. I tended to believe the girlfriend because no one is so psycho that they’re going to get into what amounts to a death battle over baseball teams, right?
But apparently there’s at least something to it. In any event, to be on the safe side, the next time I start a Yankees-Sox thread, let’s all chill out in the comments, OK?
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)