Dec 22, 2009, 12:09 PM EDT
A New Hampshire woman has been convicted of
second-degree murder for hitting a man with her car after he taunted her for
being a New York Yankees fan . . . [Ivonne Hernandez] was accused of killing 29-year-old Matthew Beaudoin in a
Nashua parking lot in May 2008.
Hernandez testified that she was terrified because Beaudoin and others
harassed her about the Yankees sticker on her car and pounded on her windows
when she made a comment about how many World Series they had won compared with
the Boston Red Sox.
I haven’t read the trial testimony or anything, but I can’t help but think that the substance of this is being misrepresented or at least overblown. Back when I first wrote about these people, the victim’s girlfriend was telling the press that the Yankees-Red Sox angle had nothing to do with this, and that there was an underlying dispute. I tended to believe the girlfriend because no one is so psycho that they’re going to get into what amounts to a death battle over baseball teams, right?
But apparently there’s at least something to it. In any event, to be on the safe side, the next time I start a Yankees-Sox thread, let’s all chill out in the comments, OK?
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 19
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 109
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 163
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (163)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (109)