Dec 23, 2009, 8:39 PM EDT
If you’re a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, you might want to avert your eyes. The rest of you may proceed to check out an amusing look at the best and worst moments of the Pirates’ decade, courtesy of Joe Starkey of the Tribune-Review.
You can probably take a guess at what the ratio of best/worst moments is. Needless to say, it ain’t pretty. Some highlights:
- April 9, 2001: The opening of PNC Park, one of the best stadiums in the majors, should have been a great night. But the christening took place only hours after the death of Willie Stargell, and of course the Pirates lost, 9-2 to the Reds.
- June 7, 2007: Pirates pass on Matt Wieters at No. 4 spot in draft, instead selecting relief pitcher Daniel Moskos. The team then shines a spotlight on its own stupidity in a press release that says “(Moskos) was ranked by Baseball America as the fifth-best pitcher available in the draft.”
- July 10, 2003: Randall Simon arrested for clubbing a racing sausage at Miller Park and is fined $432.10 for disorderly conduct.
- 2009: Pitcher Ian Snell requests and is granted demotion to minors, saying, “I think the team is better off without me.”
There are a lot more entertaining nuggets in there. Check it out.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)