Dec 23, 2009, 8:39 PM EDT
If you’re a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, you might want to avert your eyes. The rest of you may proceed to check out an amusing look at the best and worst moments of the Pirates’ decade, courtesy of Joe Starkey of the Tribune-Review.
You can probably take a guess at what the ratio of best/worst moments is. Needless to say, it ain’t pretty. Some highlights:
- April 9, 2001: The opening of PNC Park, one of the best stadiums in the majors, should have been a great night. But the christening took place only hours after the death of Willie Stargell, and of course the Pirates lost, 9-2 to the Reds.
- June 7, 2007: Pirates pass on Matt Wieters at No. 4 spot in draft, instead selecting relief pitcher Daniel Moskos. The team then shines a spotlight on its own stupidity in a press release that says “(Moskos) was ranked by Baseball America as the fifth-best pitcher available in the draft.”
- July 10, 2003: Randall Simon arrested for clubbing a racing sausage at Miller Park and is fined $432.10 for disorderly conduct.
- 2009: Pitcher Ian Snell requests and is granted demotion to minors, saying, “I think the team is better off without me.”
There are a lot more entertaining nuggets in there. Check it out.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 18
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)