Dec 23, 2009, 8:39 PM EDT
If you’re a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, you might want to avert your eyes. The rest of you may proceed to check out an amusing look at the best and worst moments of the Pirates’ decade, courtesy of Joe Starkey of the Tribune-Review.
You can probably take a guess at what the ratio of best/worst moments is. Needless to say, it ain’t pretty. Some highlights:
- April 9, 2001: The opening of PNC Park, one of the best stadiums in the majors, should have been a great night. But the christening took place only hours after the death of Willie Stargell, and of course the Pirates lost, 9-2 to the Reds.
- June 7, 2007: Pirates pass on Matt Wieters at No. 4 spot in draft, instead selecting relief pitcher Daniel Moskos. The team then shines a spotlight on its own stupidity in a press release that says “(Moskos) was ranked by Baseball America as the fifth-best pitcher available in the draft.”
- July 10, 2003: Randall Simon arrested for clubbing a racing sausage at Miller Park and is fined $432.10 for disorderly conduct.
- 2009: Pitcher Ian Snell requests and is granted demotion to minors, saying, “I think the team is better off without me.”
There are a lot more entertaining nuggets in there. Check it out.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 0
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 36
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)