Brandon Morrow thinks his growth was stunted in Seattle

Dec 23, 2009, 9:50 AM EDT

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times caught up with Brandon Morrow before he left town for Toronto. Morrow’s view of the world: he’s happy about the trade because now Seattle can stop messing with his development as a starter:

“I was never really allowed to develop as a starter the way I and a lot
of other people thought I should be allowed to.  Hopefully, this new chance means I get to develop as a starter more.
Changing roles has just been detrimental to me . . . As a reliever, you get your one inning and I was able to overpower a
lot of hitters. I think that was a big part of stunting my
development because I was allowed to overpower hitters with my
fastball.”

Of course, there’s a decent chance that he would have spent more time in the minors had the M’s not brought him up and featured him in the bullpen like they did. And he would have had a lot more mileage on his arm by now.

Neither of those facts change Morrow’s point — the kid should be starting in my mind — but he’ll benefit by reaching free agency at a younger age and with a fresher arm than he might have otherwise.

1. dh - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I don’t think being in the bullpen necessarily equals less mileage on a pitchers arm.
    Starters learn to pace themselves for the long haul, where as relievers are sometimes asked to warmup, sit down, warm up more than once a game and then hit the mound “balls out” if you will, which may actually be more detrimental to one’s throwing shoulder.
    Thoughts?

2. Jerry - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:12 AM

The Mariner organization didn’t define a role for Morrow, but let’s not forget that at least one point in his development he asked to be switched to the bullpen and wanted to be the closer. Unfortunately his diabetis also hampered his abiltity to handle a starter’s role. Still I really hate to lose Morrow. The Mariners didn’t really need to add another reliever and a “.282 slugger” that couldn’t make it past A-ball in four years. Mariners need quality starters. I’ve been with Jack Z up to this point, but I don’t understand this trade.

3. Wells - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I don’t know- part of the story with Morrow was that he wanted to go to the bullpen because he felt it would fit better with his diabetes, that maybe he didn’t have it in him to be a starter. These were his own words. Of course, he could have been echoing the company line and was all the while frustrated, but it seems a little disingenuous of him to lay the blame solely at the feet of the club. That being said- I love the kid and enjoyed watching him pitch, and look forward to continuing to follow him in Toronto.

4. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM

For a hotshot prospect, they’ve been shopping him around for a long time. There’s something wrong here, the Amazing Jack Z knows something that we don’t.
    When he says they stunted his growth, do you think he really means they didn’t have anyone to get me HGH?

5. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

There is obviously a lot to learn. There are some good points here.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3033)