Dec 23, 2009, 9:50 AM EST
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times caught up with Brandon Morrow before he left town for Toronto. Morrow’s view of the world: he’s happy about the trade because now Seattle can stop messing with his development as a starter:
“I was never really allowed to develop as a starter the way I and a lot
of other people thought I should be allowed to. Hopefully, this new chance means I get to develop as a starter more.
Changing roles has just been detrimental to me . . . As a reliever, you get your one inning and I was able to overpower a
lot of hitters. I think that was a big part of stunting my
development because I was allowed to overpower hitters with my
Of course, there’s a decent chance that he would have spent more time in the minors had the M’s not brought him up and featured him in the bullpen like they did. And he would have had a lot more mileage on his arm by now.
Neither of those facts change Morrow’s point — the kid should be starting in my mind — but he’ll benefit by reaching free agency at a younger age and with a fresher arm than he might have otherwise.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)