Damon: "My price is too high right now"

Dec 23, 2009, 9:08 PM EDT

This just in: Johnny Damon is pessimistic about a return to the Yankees (from the New York Post, via Sporting News).

“I know I don’t fit their payroll,” Damon said. “We’ve had a little bit of communication with them, but my price is too high right now. I don’t think I’m their solution.”

Despite the Yankees’ signing of Nick Johnson, it’s conceivable that Damon could return to the Bronx. The Yankees can’t be comfortable with Brett Gardner as their everyday left fielder can they? If Damon just lowers his asking price, maybe something will get done. Even Damon seems to allude to that with his “my price is too high right now” comment.

I just hope someone signs him soon, because the world really doesn’t need any more of this. Ever.

Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.

1. AJ Gallo - Dec 24, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Wow. YOU became offended because I called Damon an idiot? He happily labeled himself an idiot. Please accept this in the manner in which it is completely meant and with the fullest of intent, bite me………………..

2. AJ Gallo - Dec 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I hear you. And you’re right, as a Yankee fan, I’ve come to learn that about Damon. And I guess that’s even more true when you understand that that’s why he hires someone like Scott Boras. Boras could care less about where the player really wants to play and where it would make him happiest. He just wants the biggest contract he can get so he can put a bigger commission into his own pocket. I don’t blame you for not wanting him back. I won’t grieve a minute if he signs elsewhere.

3. mick-7-1961 - Dec 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM

It will ALWAYS be about the money in Major League Baseball…always.
    Rings are an afterthought.
    As much as I love the Yankees, I’m getting sick and tired of this crap.

4. Yanksuck - Dec 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

The Yankees don’t like Boras? Come on…they made Boras. Without the Yankees annual overspending Boras is just another schmoe. And Karen, were you serious with the “Granderson, Swisher, Gardner outfield is SCARY”, comment?

5. mikec - Dec 24, 2009 at 11:51 AM

This isn’t complicated, folks. Damon is reaching out to the Yanks, acknowledging that Boras is a hard-baller and that he’s willing to come down from his agent’s price to return to the team. Odd or not, it’s just another form of compromise late in the negotiating process. Expect the Yanks to be receptive.

6. Boondale - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Damon should stick to his asking price. If the Yankees want.need him they will pay. If they don’t they won’t. Damon is no less greedy or loyal than the rest of the Yankee lineup or ownership. He is anything but an idiot. He has won championships so it is clear he is a winner. He has a chance to make a lot of money, what’s wrong with that? As for Yankee fans, quit complaining, your management make a hnadsome profit so obviously they are in it for the money no less than Damon. If it was about fans and championships they would pay Damon and move on. They are trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of the contract. Why not, they are in it for the money no less than the players. Watching the Yankees play is anything but fun. In the last 30 years, the NFL and the NBA have surpassed baseball in popularity and excitement as the MLB has redefined greed. Ironically, we have a sport with the lowest educated players of any professional sport with the majority of international ball players possessing less than a high school education while most domestic players have barely graduated high school. You ask why a Boras can floursish…it because avirtually all ball players are idiots. Listen to their interviews, they are ignorant, uneducated and immature. Who cares about baseball, it s*cks!

7. steve - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Damon will have absolutely no interest in his asking price,
    2 years 19 mill is the deal he will take with yanks, watch

8. AJ Gallo - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM

And Steve, if he doesn’t take that deal, he IS an idiot.

9. JR - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Damon is nuts not lowering his price to sign with the Yankees. At this point he has so much money that he can’t spend the interest, and he can’t take money with him when he dies. He would be smart to stay with the Yankees and try to win some more championships.

10. Jason B - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:57 PM

“when it came down to brass tax”, huh? I can’t disagree with Damon, I just *LOATHE* paying that brass tax. And the cadmium tax, and the nickel alloy tax.
    ~Grammar and Diction Patrol, Light Infantry Division

11. lstro - Dec 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I believe its going to be more difficult replacing Matsui’s contributions to the team than Damons. Our boys will do just fine with Gardener in left field. Lets not forget after having one full year of experience under his belt including playoffs he should be better. Gardener’s defensive abilities will be an improvement, he will also be a plus on the base paths. My point being opposing pitchers will fear Gardener more than Damon and lets not forget about Granderson’s speed and the combined mindset they will bring to the game. The signing of both Granderson and Johnson should balance the offensive side of the equation.

12. dfoxx1 - Dec 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I agree. I lilke Damon and want him to be a Yankee next year. Since we’re in the millions, no matter what; why on earth doesn’t Damon compromise? Does he want to go back to oakland?

13. Hayez - Dec 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM

As a long sufferin’ Tiger fan ,I was pissed to see Granderson go. His avg. may not be the best but he is a quality individual, was great for the city and the fans, And a helluva centerfielder. Good Luck Curtis even if you are a Yankee….

14. Sweet William - Dec 24, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Xavier Nady is supposed to return for next season, Swisher has already shown he is good enough to be an everyday player and no, Brett Gardner is not anything more than a situational player

15. SOUTHERNBOY - Dec 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I think he would look good as an ATLANTA BRAVE….So they could return to the big boys of baseball ….

16. WC - Dec 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Is anyone going to offer Johnny 39 million dollars for 3 years. There’s a sucker born every minute. Just ask Lackey or Chan Ho Park.

17. millybo - Dec 24, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Bone head, sorry i mean boondale. If you like basketball and football so much, go write on their blogs. And for your information most baseball players have a beeter education and are more intellegent than the average American. Baseball is like any other business, you cant insist that an employer pay you what he does not want to, and it is the employer who sets yoursalary unless you go to Arbitration. If Johnny dont want to accept what is being offered then he should go to the Washington Nationals and be reminded why players play the game.

18. T Collard - Dec 25, 2009 at 7:35 AM

My price tag is too big, there’s breaking news if I ever heard some. Give me a break you want 13 millon a year to play left field. You throw life a little leaguer on your best day. I’ll give you credit hitting in the Yankees band box you look good, but hitting in a real sized baseball stadium. Well I think at best you will hit 17 home runs. So good luck on someone signing you for that price; keep dreaming. Hope you like playing for a non contended next year.

19. john stowman - Dec 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM

AMEN TO THAT

20. MattD - Dec 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM

The Yankees are a team of stars, hitting stars; especially through the infield. The outfielders and designated hitters don’t look that special. Johnny is OK, but he’s no superstar; not anymore. Instead of Johnny, why not Bay or Holliday. The money difference isn’t that much considering what Damon is asking for. And the age difference is huge.

21. Robert Demming, Jr. - Dec 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Something wrong with Swisher? He’s faster than Damon, throws better than Damon, and, most impiortant, is younger than Damon.

22. Jezzo - Dec 28, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Damon leaves Oakland A’s for the BIG BUCKS with the Red Sox…
    Damon leaves Red Sox for BIGGER BUCKS with the Yankees…
    Damon wants the BIGGEST BUCKS to stay with the Yankees…
    Johnny, BIG…Bigger…Biggest…isn’t alway BEST!

23. Dale B. - Jan 4, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Johnny-You know your skills are diminishing, like they would for any ageing player! You really should take the Yankee’s offer and get to work to enhance your abilities. As any older guy-get going-get ready for next season!!!!

24. Leslie Sorenson - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Hi, awesome article, I thouroughly enjoyed reading this. the post gave me the kick to try my own article, please check my article by clicking my name at the top of this post, Many thanks

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5452)