Damon: "My price is too high right now"

Dec 23, 2009, 9:08 PM EDT

This just in: Johnny Damon is pessimistic about a return to the Yankees (from the New York Post, via Sporting News).

“I know I don’t fit their payroll,” Damon said. “We’ve had a little bit of communication with them, but my price is too high right now. I don’t think I’m their solution.”

Despite the Yankees’ signing of Nick Johnson, it’s conceivable that Damon could return to the Bronx. The Yankees can’t be comfortable with Brett Gardner as their everyday left fielder can they? If Damon just lowers his asking price, maybe something will get done. Even Damon seems to allude to that with his “my price is too high right now” comment.

I just hope someone signs him soon, because the world really doesn’t need any more of this. Ever.

Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.

1. AJ Gallo - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:56 PM

“My price is too high right now”?? What the hell is that Damon? Is it your price is too high for the Yankees or is your price too high for anyone period? And does “right now” infer the price will get lower because you realize it’s too high? I don’t know, either you’re an idiot, acting like an idiot, or getting some really piss-poor advice from dirtbag Boras. Labeling yourself as having too high an asking price is just moronic.

2. yankeh8r - Dec 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Well Judas Demon, uh I mean Johnny Damon did entitle his autobiography “Idiot” and when you sell your soul to Borass what do you expect?

3. Old Gator - Dec 23, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Yes it is, even for a professional athlete. But I wonder if he’s just cracking up over the realization that Boras hasn’t adjusted to some of the new economic realities of the sport, is taking him down too, and Damon is running off at the mouth like a loose canon. I doubt if Boras wants him talking like this. But who knows? Even sharks get desperate when the pickings are slim enough and bite down on spinning boat propellers.

4. john j - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I think he should lower his price because he has a chance to win another ring with the yankees next season . To me a ring is better or rings . please come back johnny ” we need YOU . signed johnj yankee fan

5. Schuyler - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Johnny,
    Stop listening to that ***hole Boras. We’d love to have you back as a Yankee to acquire another ring.

6. bigfan - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:50 PM

AJ–look up the difference between infer and imply, especially if you’re inclined to call other people idiots. Your point is well taken though–Damon missed the class on negotiating skills.

7. Tom - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I mean really, how much is enough? Is an extra 5-10 million over and above what you’ve already been paid for playing baseball going to make any difference at all in the quality of your life. Is it going to give you any more security. At this point in your career if you don’t play because it’s fun then you should just retire.

8. braeden - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Damon is a fool,he’ll find a nothing team to pay him a couple of yrs and be always remembered as a GREEDY mercenary fool!

9. george Jung - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Boras is the problem. Damon should fire him (Like Arod did) and sign on his own for a better deal without Boras fat commissions figured in. The Yanks have to get another outfielder and I hope they can get together. Any of the other big boys like Holliday, would want much more. Brian sign him over the holidays!

10. yankeh8r - Dec 24, 2009 at 4:14 AM

He proclaimed himself an “idiot” when he was with the sox so is it really name calling?

11. Karen W. - Dec 24, 2009 at 4:48 AM

If Abreau is worth 19 million for 2 years (he isn’t any better in the outfield than Damon) and Cameron is worth 15.5 for 2 years (he isn’t any better offensively) Damon is worth the 20 million for 2 years he asked for IMHO – Yanks only offered him 14 for 2 years – now I’m hearing Yanks don’t even want him back for the 14 million, maybe they’re leaking that hoping to scare him so he takes the 14 million. An outfield of Gardner, Granderson and Swisher is downright SCARY. Although, hopefully if Damon doesn’t come back they can give Nady an incentive laden contract and he can come back healthy. I really like Nady and it s*cks we didn’t get to see more of him in pinstripes.

12. John Doe - Dec 24, 2009 at 5:02 AM

My price is too high? Are you stupid Damon? These are the Yankees. If they really want you then it would’ve already been done. You’re an idiot.

13. BW - Dec 24, 2009 at 5:49 AM

Well Yankee fans, we saw the “Demon” do the same thing in Boston ,Even after saying, “I could never play for the yankee’s” then he cut his hair and cashed the check. He will do the same thing some where else.Thats baseball.Thats the Damon way.

14. Carey Granite - Dec 24, 2009 at 6:30 AM

I imply. You infer.

15. Johnny Damon - Dec 24, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Abreu can throw the ball to the infield without a cutoff man. Heck, he can get the ball all the way to home plate before the runner gets there! Add his offense and it is obvious that Bobby is way better than I am.

16. smokehouse - Dec 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Forget the National League. There you actually have to play left field. As a playing left fielder, you stink. Can’t run, can’t throw and can’t catch.

17. dlmcc0909 - Dec 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Damon is not going to get more than $10 mil a year anywhere. There is no team dumb enough to believe he will stay healthy. At this point in his career he should be playing to win instead of playing to cash the biggest check he can. At this point he needs to realize he is no longer a $10 mil a year player

18. Rawlings BOB TURLEY PMT - Dec 24, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Johnny…Johnny…Johnny,
    You are an asset to the Yankees and a player that a lot of fans love. You can run and you can hit a ton;however, your arm is a severe liability.
    That is the reason no other teams have “bit” at your services. For 10-15 million per, a team is expecting an athlete that can do it all. Your swing was made for Yankee Stadium; time to swallow your pride and re-think the Yankee offer.
    (comparing Damon to Abreau and Cameron is silly…they can hit, run, AND THROW…something Johnny cannot do…and every fly ball to Johnny is an adventure at best)

19. Jeff - Dec 24, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Think about this, lets say you make $50,000 a year. A good living for a normal American. How many players would say they would rather play baseball for $50k A year than take an office job. “My price is too high” What an ego. This is why college is better than pro at any sport. You don’t have as many of these idiots.

20. Nick F - Dec 24, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I’m a yankee fan and im not gonna sit here and tell you i don’t want damon back, i do, however i;m getting a little pissed off that all he did all last year is shout out to anyone who would listen that he wanted to be a yankee again next year and when it came down to brass tax hes being a severe douchebag about money. He reminds me of David Cone, cone had no loyalty he would switch a team in an instant if the other team was offering him more money. if damon dosent come back forget him, the yankees will do fine without him and i hope that when hes on the couch watching the yankees in october he thinks about what he had.

21. Ladyfan - Dec 24, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Sorry AJ, but you and the other Yankee fans are finding out what we Red Sox fans already know . . . for the Demon, it’s all about the Benjamins. Not loyalty, not rings, not fame, and certainly not fun . . . . please, just don’t send him back to us!

22. John Soister - Dec 24, 2009 at 10:11 AM

imply = suggest
    infer = conclude

23. John from West L.A. - Dec 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM

The Yankees — rightfully so — don’t want to do business with Scott Boras. He comes in with such godawfully inflated initial numbers that people just shrug and walk away. Damon is good, but he’s not THAT good. Why players sign with Boras is beyond me. I think he hurts more than he helps. He’s become a legend in his own mind and is mainly out for himself and his own self-promotion. The fact that we know his name is part of the problem. The best agents out there are people you and I cannot name.

24. AJ Gallo - Dec 24, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I did, in fact, look up the difference and I may be missing something here because I thought there wasn’t a whole lot of difference in my reference. However, I appreciate the correction.

25. AJ Gallo - Dec 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3414)