Derek Jeter: Captain, Champion, Sportsman

Dec 23, 2009, 4:55 PM EDT

That’s not me gushing over the guy — my love for Jeter is a private thing — it’s the name of a new exhibit at the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center (“Learning Center?” For Yogi?):

The big item on display is the original Sports Illustrated Sportsman of
the Year Award. First given out in 1954, every winner’s name is
engraved in it. Of course, Jeter won the honor this year, the first
Yankees player ever so honored.

Given the title of the exhibit, the name of the museum in which it appears and the nature of the centerpiece of the display, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that no one will be picketing this thing for uncovering harsh truths like they did with that Enola Gay exhibit at the Air and Space Museum a few years back.

1. Ryan - Dec 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Not good enough for MVP in his league, but still Sportsman of the Year. Makes perfect sense. In other news, the Yankees decided their janitor wasn’t qualified to be promoted to Head Janitor, so they promoted him to VP of Sales instead.

2. YankeesfanLen - Dec 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Gentleman and Scholar, 100 other platitudes, and now the pride of beautiful downtown Montclair, NJ.
    Betcha more hits than Jeter or the Mets improvement column. Way to go for year end numbers for the weasels, Craig.
    Seriously, Merry Christmas to you, Mrs. Shyster, the Shyster kids, and Ringo. And all the cohorts at CTB.
    Rabbit, maybe Santa will bring the Pittsburgh Pirates to put under your tree.

3. Ditto - Dec 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM

What does this post mean? That Jeter isn’t a sportsman? Do you watch the same baseball I watch? Jeter is pure class, period. If you are trying to say that he is not deserving of Sportsman of the Year in a not-so clever fashion is only evidence that you are a Yankee hater.

4. lar @ wezen-ball - Dec 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM

“Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center”… it’d be funnier if it was called the “Yogi Berra Center for Kids Who Can’t Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too”…

5. The Rabbit - Dec 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM

@YankeesfanLen
    If Santa brings me the Pirates (and the appropriate finances) for Christmas, I promise to offer both you and Mr. Shyster Senior VP positions.
    I might even have to offer a contract to Ozzie Guillen for the Shyster’s amusement.
    I wish you, the Shyster family, and the Secret Society a Very Merry Christmas.

6. Joe formerly of Brooklyn - Dec 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Interesting to see the negative and stupid posts here in response to a relatively innocuous few lines about a guy who plays baseball for a living — honored at a museum honoring another decent guy.
    Please allow some facts to creep into the discussion:
    1. Somehow, Jeter has managed to stay out of headlines in this toxic age. Does this mean he’s still a virgin? I don’t care. Does it mean he’s gay? Even gay people get into headlines (see the former Gov. of NJ a few years back). Does this mean he once used steroids and stopped? I hope not, but maybe.
    OR: Maybe he’s just a really decent guy.
    And, oh yeah — the guy has 5 World Series rings. Is that the source of all of this nonsense? Choke on your bile, morons.
    2. Somehow, Yogi — despite many weird uses of the English language — has managed to become a national icon. Somehow, Yogi — despite being stupid, according to at least one of the posters above (and legions during his career) — is at the very least financially comfortable, if not rich.
    AND: Somehow, this “ugly” guy is going to be memorialized (for a time, anyway) with a cartoon character carrying his name around, too. Yogi Bear still appears regularly on cable TV (and I watch regularly!).
    And,, oh yeah — this old geezer has 10 World Series rings. I don’t know how many players in ANY sport had 10 championships, historically. It seems pretty certain that none will gather 10 in careers of any length (at least in team sports) in the future.
    Doncha think we ought to treasure this guy, instead of making him a departure point for idiotic venting?
    3. For some reason, the fact that the management and ownership of the Yankees keep plowing profits back into the ballclub on the field (instead of profiting from them) earns the team a bunch of enmity.
    As a lifelong fan of the Yankees (the Dodgers left Brooklyn before my 5th birthday), I often wonder about that. Do the morons (as represented by the posts here) really root for teams that take money from the fans and various other sources and . . . declare it as a profit? That’s what you root for? Your team’s financial bottom line?
    Why don’t you just shift your allegiance to Goldman Sachs, for Pete’s sake?????
    As a human, I feel lucky that Yogi is still around. As a Yankees fan, I know that I’ve been fortunate that somehow Derek Jeter grew up to be what he dreamed of becoming back when he was 13 years old.
    And as someone who can read the posts above this one, I wish all of the posters — a Merry Christmas!

7. custom tee shirt - Feb 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I was a little disappointed about the Super Bowl outcome? What do you guys think? Because I am Pissed I love the colts!

8. Zola Swimsuit - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM

People pic of one’s swimsuit style are stunning. You will have carried out an admirable job approaching the most current fashions for 2010. Summer time shall be appropriate in this article earlier than you recognise it and in many cases a lot of of us can almost all be for the lookout for bikiniss exactly like the kinds in many of your ınformation. Sports activities Illustrated basically just announced the specific swimming suit edition and that we might almost all be on the seek out bikinis which includes the bikiniss inside of your actual tale.

9. Bennett Scarritt - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

In China it’s not unusual to see private residents to make the move to solar power. Like in any country the initial expense is high, but putting a few solar panels on your roof will pay off in the long run. It’s good for you and it’s good for the environment. Everybody wins, right? Not so fast, skippy. This is China, remember?

10. Taylor F. Gautreaux - Feb 27, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Hey, absolutlty love the site and will definatley be coming back in the near future!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3759)