Great Moments in Objectivity

Dec 23, 2009, 3:30 PM EDT

From WEEI:

The Boston Chapter, BBWAA also announced Tuesday that Yankees General
Manager Brian Cashman has been selected as Major League Baseball
Executive of the Year.

They say that the Yankees-Red Sox thing is like an arms race or a cold war or something. Pfft. It’s not a true clash of the titans until the press goes all Pravda vs. McCarthy on us.  We want total war here, people.  You can do better than this. I know it.

1. Old Gator - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM

And there could be a great baseball movie about the aftermath of this total war of yours, with Kevin Costner as the father and Tim Robbins as the son. They could call it…The Road.
    ….sorry about that…

2. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:53 PM

But … now that the rivalry has a verifiable body count, I thought we were supposed to chill out …
    So Craig, on a totally unrelated topic, do you think the Braves should keep shopping Derek Lowe and give Kris Medlen a chance at the 5th starter job?

3. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Well, since you’ve asked it (this is the first time you asked, right?):
    I don’t trust Medlen yet and I’m pretty sure Bobby doesn’t either. I think we might very well see a bounceback year from Lowe, and I think the Braves have a shot at the division this year, so I’d err on the side of boring caution and keep Lowe in the fold, see how Medlen does in AAA, and reassess mid season depending on how everyone is doing.

4. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I asked you on the Javy Vazquez post below, no worries. I don’t think they’ll send Medlen to AAA, he was too good in MLB last year, if they keep Lowe I see Medlen’s role as analogous to what Justin Masterson provided the Red Sox in 08 and 09.

5. Holla(r) - Dec 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

The Boston press voting for Cashman? What is this pacifist crap? I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead, burnt bodies. I mean kill, kill kill.

6. Bobs - Dec 23, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Re: Holla(r)’s post-
    Cool…an Alice’s Restaurant reference. Arlo would be proud!

7. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Dec 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Sure, it’s not like the Boston BBWAA voted in last year’s A.L. representative to the World Series, right?

8. nfieldr - Dec 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

OG, you know that Costner and Robbins are only 4 or 5 years apart in age. Maybe it’d have a be a big brother / little brother thing for this remake of The Road

9. GeorgeKingShouldLearn - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM

You see Mr. George King at the NY Post? That’s common sense/decency that the Boston baseball writers have, something King never showed when he left Red Sox Pedro Martinez off his MVP ballot because he said pitchers didn’t deserve the award. Then someone looked at George King’s previous votes, and they saw George King at the NY Post had voted for Yankee pitcher David Wells for MVP in the past.

10. Old Gator - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:46 PM

No sooner did I write that original post than I see an article that Robbins and Susan Sarandon had split up. Has it really been 23 years since Bull Durham was first released? Dear Buddha.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5124)