Dec 23, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT
The guys behind the most excellent Blue Jays blog Drunk Jays Fans love them some Roy Halladay, but they’ve had a bit too much of the post-trade Halladay-love. After first acknowledging that Halladay was the best pitcher to ever wear the bird, they let loose:
What I don’t understand is the sentiment that seems to exist amongst
Jays fans that Halladay did us some sort of favour by pitching here.
Again, he was excellent, and that should be celebrated, but during his
entire time in Toronto he was paid very close to market value and given
every possible perk that he desired.
The fact that he signed
more than one extension to stay in Toronto doesn’t mean he was
sacrificing anything. He took those deals because it was the devil he
knew: the media he didn’t have to answer questions from, the players
who revered him and the comfort that comes from the familiar.
That doesn’t make him any less of a competitor, but it also doesn’t make him a saint.
I guess they didn’t see his thank you letter in the Sun . . .
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)