Dec 23, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT
The guys behind the most excellent Blue Jays blog Drunk Jays Fans love them some Roy Halladay, but they’ve had a bit too much of the post-trade Halladay-love. After first acknowledging that Halladay was the best pitcher to ever wear the bird, they let loose:
What I don’t understand is the sentiment that seems to exist amongst
Jays fans that Halladay did us some sort of favour by pitching here.
Again, he was excellent, and that should be celebrated, but during his
entire time in Toronto he was paid very close to market value and given
every possible perk that he desired.
The fact that he signed
more than one extension to stay in Toronto doesn’t mean he was
sacrificing anything. He took those deals because it was the devil he
knew: the media he didn’t have to answer questions from, the players
who revered him and the comfort that comes from the familiar.
That doesn’t make him any less of a competitor, but it also doesn’t make him a saint.
I guess they didn’t see his thank you letter in the Sun . . .
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)