Let's stop the sainthood for Roy Halladay campaign

Dec 23, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT

The guys behind the most excellent Blue Jays blog Drunk Jays Fans love them some Roy Halladay, but they’ve had a bit too much of the post-trade Halladay-love.  After first acknowledging that Halladay was the best pitcher to ever wear the bird, they let loose:

What I don’t understand is the sentiment that seems to exist amongst
Jays fans that Halladay did us some sort of favour by pitching here.
Again, he was excellent, and that should be celebrated, but during his
entire time in Toronto he was paid very close to market value and given
every possible perk that he desired.

The fact that he signed
more than one extension to stay in Toronto doesn’t mean he was
sacrificing anything. He took those deals because it was the devil he
knew: the media he didn’t have to answer questions from, the players
who revered him and the comfort that comes from the familiar.

That doesn’t make him any less of a competitor, but it also doesn’t make him a saint.

I guess they didn’t see his thank you letter in the Sun . . .

1. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

All of Jays Province is attacking Alex Anthopolopodopolous already, they’re all still fuming over the Ricciardi regime and are on the hypervigilant lookout for any signs of Ricciardian behavior. JP botched the leverage and timing of the Halladay trade, AA’s not to blame for that, he just has to hang in there and hope Drabek develops quickly and well.

2. Neon Noodle - Dec 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Hey, I heard Milton Bradley also took out a full page ad, can you link to that for us??

3. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM

The Jays fans have been marching in the town square with their torches held aloft for so long, once JP was decapitated they were used to marching and waving fire and kind of liked it and there were all the leftovers cases of tiki torches they hadn’t even lit yet … so they all decided to just hang around and make sure they don’t need to march again right away. You know, just in case. You lookin at me, eh?

4. Bill@TDS - Dec 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Nah, that would be Dave Stieb.

5. Matt Barr - Dec 23, 2009 at 2:47 PM

If Jays fans want to send him off with a parting gift of the latest Tegan and Sara album, I say let them. It’s pretty good.

6. ecp - Dec 23, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Here you go:

7. Chuck - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I don’t know if your comment is meant to be sincere or simply hyperbolic provocation. I think you’ll find that in Toronto circles, Anthopolous’ moves have largely been seen as positive. Not all of them (the McDonald one being the biggest head scratcher) and not by everyone, but the overall assessment has been more positive than negative.

8. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Granted, Chuck, I don’t live there, and I don’t actually imagine anyone is swinging lit torches in the town square. I have visited Toronto and it’s my 3rd favorite Canadian city.
    The Jays “truther” equivalents were pretty up-in-arms over the Halladay trade, from what I read at the time, whereas I thought they struck a fairly reasonable deal. Of course I was probably just listening to those who were shouting the loudest, and those who are upset always shout the loudest.

9. Old Gator - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I predict that Pope Pius XII will be beatified before Halladay, if Roy makes it at all. Since the Feather Lice never won a series with him, he’s at the disadvantage of having no miracle for which to claim credit.

10. Eat a Peach - Dec 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Unless of course you count the miracle of ending the Ricciardian era.

11. Neon Noodle - Dec 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Thanks ecp. But actually, I was taunting Craig because of the ado he started with his linking of the MB parody. See side panel for most commented on, as of now the post is at number 4.

12. Pete Toms - Dec 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM

The saturation coverage of the Halladay sweepstakes that started before the All Star break last season has been TOO much. I am a pretty hardcore Jays fan and even I got sick of it. And I think there is a lot of BS around how much Halladay meant to sports fans in Toronto. For example….I went to two Jays games this year, the one preceding and the one following what was widely speculated as Halladay’s last IN Toronto. His start was on a Friday nite and the media hype was BIG, but the crowd was relatively puny, WAY out of line with the saturation pre game hype. The games I went to the afternoon before vs Detroit and the game following against TB drew better.
    Toronto dosn’t give a crap about baseball. Go to FC and wear your scarf.

13. Old Gator - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:51 PM

There’s a scientific explanation for your so-called “miracle” We have discovered an irridium-rich deposit of horseshit between Ricciardi and Anthropophagus.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey