Dec 23, 2009, 9:20 AM EST
Glaus is coming off shoulder surgery and back problems which limited him to 29
at-bats last season. He started 151 games and hit .270/.372/.483 in
2008, so maybe there’s still something left in the tank.
That said, this is not exactly what I envisioned when I said I’d wait and see what
Frank Wren was going to do with the money he saved on Vazquez. It smells like the Garret Anderson signing last year and those signings of Mondesi and Caminiti a few years ago.
And to answer a comment: no, this doesn’t call for an apology to Joe Sheehan for my post this morning. He still wrote what he wrote before this deal, and my point wasn’t that the Braves would spend the money wisely — I conceded that they may spend it stupidly — the point was that you have to see what they do with it before you can make the sweeping kinds of judgments Sheehan made in his piece.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 34
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 32
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)