Dec 23, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
Glaus is coming off shoulder surgery and back problems which limited him to 29
at-bats last season. He started 151 games and hit .270/.372/.483 in
2008, so maybe there’s still something left in the tank.
That said, this is not exactly what I envisioned when I said I’d wait and see what
Frank Wren was going to do with the money he saved on Vazquez. It smells like the Garret Anderson signing last year and those signings of Mondesi and Caminiti a few years ago.
And to answer a comment: no, this doesn’t call for an apology to Joe Sheehan for my post this morning. He still wrote what he wrote before this deal, and my point wasn’t that the Braves would spend the money wisely — I conceded that they may spend it stupidly — the point was that you have to see what they do with it before you can make the sweeping kinds of judgments Sheehan made in his piece.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)