Dec 23, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
Glaus is coming off shoulder surgery and back problems which limited him to 29
at-bats last season. He started 151 games and hit .270/.372/.483 in
2008, so maybe there’s still something left in the tank.
That said, this is not exactly what I envisioned when I said I’d wait and see what
Frank Wren was going to do with the money he saved on Vazquez. It smells like the Garret Anderson signing last year and those signings of Mondesi and Caminiti a few years ago.
And to answer a comment: no, this doesn’t call for an apology to Joe Sheehan for my post this morning. He still wrote what he wrote before this deal, and my point wasn’t that the Braves would spend the money wisely — I conceded that they may spend it stupidly — the point was that you have to see what they do with it before you can make the sweeping kinds of judgments Sheehan made in his piece.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)