Dec 23, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
Glaus is coming off shoulder surgery and back problems which limited him to 29
at-bats last season. He started 151 games and hit .270/.372/.483 in
2008, so maybe there’s still something left in the tank.
That said, this is not exactly what I envisioned when I said I’d wait and see what
Frank Wren was going to do with the money he saved on Vazquez. It smells like the Garret Anderson signing last year and those signings of Mondesi and Caminiti a few years ago.
And to answer a comment: no, this doesn’t call for an apology to Joe Sheehan for my post this morning. He still wrote what he wrote before this deal, and my point wasn’t that the Braves would spend the money wisely — I conceded that they may spend it stupidly — the point was that you have to see what they do with it before you can make the sweeping kinds of judgments Sheehan made in his piece.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 12
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 54
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (181)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)