REPORT: Troy Glaus to sign with the Braves

Dec 23, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT

Rosenthal tweets it.  He’ll play first base. He has six career games at first base.  It’s a one-year, incentive-laden contract.

Glaus is coming off shoulder surgery and back problems which limited him to 29
at-bats last season. He started 151 games and hit .270/.372/.483 in
2008, so maybe there’s still something left in the tank.

That said, this is not exactly what I envisioned when I said I’d wait and see what
Frank Wren was going to do with the money he saved on Vazquez.  It smells like the Garret Anderson signing last year and those signings of Mondesi and Caminiti a few years ago.

And to answer a comment: no, this doesn’t call for an apology to Joe Sheehan for my post this morning. He still wrote what he wrote before this deal, and my point wasn’t that the Braves would spend the money wisely — I conceded that they may spend it stupidly — the point was that you have to see what they do with it before you can make the sweeping kinds of judgments Sheehan made in his piece.

1. Old Gator - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM

So what? An undocumented Salvadoran named Hector Carioca just agreed to paint Jeffrey Loria’s living room. He has his own roll of Vistaqueen.
    Well, at least you can’t say that the Feesh aren’t making smart, economical moves to improve, can you?

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM

I’d be much happier with Nick Johnson than Troy Glaus. NJ might be more exp than Glaus, but can Glaus even play anymore? He makes NJ look Ripkenesque

3. JasonC23 - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Joe Sheehan leans back in his chair, crosses his arms, and nods…

4. Chuck - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Glaus to play 1B? Glaus to play 3B with Jones moving to 1B?

5. JasonC23 - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I know, Craig, I’m just messin’ with ya.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Oh, I didn’t take it too seriously. But I’m sure others will make the point a little more pointedly later, so why not nip it in the bud now?
    Chuck: I doubt that they’d do that. There are questions whether Glaus could still hack third himself, what with his back and shoulder, so moving Chipper to first might mean two really bad defensive corners instead of just one.
    Glaus has only played 6 games in his career at first base. That’s 6 more than Jones, however.

7. dcfan - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Nick Johnson already signed with the Yankees. Troy Glaus give them an experienced bat. But health issues are a concern. This would still be a financial decision. Hoping Glaus stays healthy, his numbers could be comparable to the free agents who would cost twice as much.

8. John Willumsen - Dec 23, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Eh, I think we should continue to withhold judgment. Assuming Wren only had the money left over from the Vazquez deal to play with, maybe he has someone in mind for LF and this is the best he could do to fll 1B, until we know the terms, we should hold off on jumping on Wren. Now if he dropped more than say, 3 million plus incentives on Glaus…well then I’d get worried.

9. Tominthebv - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I’m sitting up here in (soon to be) snowy Milwaukee & am wondering if Prince Fielder for a couple of those stacked pitching prospects the Braves have (a starter and a reliever) might not be on the table for discussion. The Braves desperately want a big time hitting first baseman and the Brewers pitching staff still won’t cut it next year for any serious playoff run (Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush, Trevor Howard 40+, anyone?). Prince has one more year to go on his contract & I am not convinced the Brewers will give him the big time contract he is going to get. He should not sail off into free agency with no return. I think the Braves would come up with the money needed to sign Fielder. The Brewers have done as well as expected with the money they have to spend but I don’t see them increasing their payroll much higher.

10. GimmeSomeSteel - Dec 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Tom, I think you meant Trevor Hoffman. To the best of my knowledge, Trevor Howard (a fine British actor) never played baseball.

Orioles turn AL East on its head