Dec 23, 2009, 12:20 PM EDT
ESPN’s Buster Olney (and about a zillion other people today) note that the Jason Bay-to-the-Mets stuff is dragging on. Rather than come up with new and exciting Mets jokes, Buster gets constructive and makes eight suggestions for adding depth and improving the team without blowing a big chunk of money on Jason Bay. His ideas:
1. Sign Orlando Hudson;
2. Sign a cheap, defense-first outfielder like Randy Winn;
3. Sign Mark DeRosa
4. Get a reliever or two in the Bob Howry or Chan Ho Park mold;
5. Rotation filler like Jarrod Washburn;
6. Make an offer for Fernando Rodney;
7. Get a starter like Brett Meyers, Jon Garland or Vicente Padilla;
8. Make an offer to Joel Piniero.
Not sure if that’s really eight ideas given that two of them deal with getting a reliever and three of them deal with getting some back-of-the-rotation help, but at least someone’s thinking about how to make the Mets better. God knows Omar Minaya isn’t.
So whaddya all think? Kneejerk reaction: I like depth moves better than big splashes for a team like the Mets. I mean, if you’re going to blame every damn thing that happened in 2009 on injuries, why not improve the depth?
As for the specifics, I’m not sure how many of the pitchers Olney is serious about the Mets pursuing or if, alternatively, he’s just listing potential options, but New York could use someone who could pitch beyond Santana. I think DeRosa has become everyone’s go-to reference for depth and utility, but I think people are underselling the fact that he’s getting older, can’t play the middle of the infield much anymore and is asking for far more money than the spare-part DeRosa we all came to love a few years ago.
But those are merely my shallow nitpicks. Your thoughts?
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)