Dec 23, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
And here I thought Raul Mondesi disappeared from the face of the Earth after putting in 155 atrocious plate appearances for the Braves in 2005:
When Raul Mondesi left baseball after 13 seasons as a major league
outfielder, he returned to his dusty, overcrowded and impoverished
hometown determined to make a difference.
And both of the
Dominican Republic’s main political parties were only too happy to
assist, with one helping him twice win election to the country’s
national Chamber of Deputies and another luring him away to run for
mayor of the country’s sixth-largest city.
He’s not alone. According to Baxter, Juan Encarnacion, Melido Perez and Jose Rijo all hold office in the Dominican Republic as well.
Sadly, it seems that Mondesi is something of an empty vessel politically, with those quoted in the article questioning his intellect and grasp of the issues and noting that he has never sponsored any substantive legislation. Basically, his political career is based almost purely on name recognition and fame as a local-born ballplayer.
Glad that doesn’t happen as often here. If it did, I’m pretty sure it would mean that Paul O’Neill or Pat Borders would be the mayor of my town, and I don’t like either of those dudes.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)