Why would the Sox be back in on Jason Bay?

Dec 24, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT

Given that the Red Sox are reportedly making another pass at Jason Bay (or Matt Holliday) despite having the outfield seemingly covered with Ellsbury, Drew and Cameron, what does it tell you about their confidence that David Ortiz will be a productive part of the lineup next year?  Last season when Big Papi took his giant swoon, they had no one else around, so they had to keep running him out there. Could having Bay or Holliday in the fold mean that they’d rather have one of them — or J.D. Drew — DHing?  Whatever the case, I wouldn’t necessarily bet my pension on Ortiz returning to All-Star form, so maybe getting another bat makes sense.

Obligatory alternative theory for Red Sox fanboys: getting Holliday or Bay would free up Ellsbury to be dealt to San Diego as part of a package for Adrian Gonzalez. No, I do not think that will happen, but one of the first comments would likely suggest it, and I wanted to preempt it.

1. yankees27 - Dec 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Its all good Stew, cheat your way to a title, no one seems to care.
    2004*
    Asterik forever.

2. Jim Norby - Dec 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I am consistently amused by Sox fans deep interest in Matt Holliday. As an A’s fan, I had to sit through a half season of this guy last year. After five or six games, I used his at bats as a good time to go take a leak. My son would always fill me in with the inevitable news when I returned that he had hit another fly ball out or worse (many double play balls). People also seem to feel that he has above average glove skills which I never saw in his half season in Oakland. While he was not the worst OF glove we have had (think of Ben Grieve waddling after a hit in the outfield corner) he was no second coming of Ricky Henderson who had his own problems (never ran to his position, average arm, estrangement from the cut-off man, etc.). Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t.

3. yankeh8r - Dec 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM

get rid of something good while you can get something in return? or just oh, lets say….keep that something good? and going to arbitration simply means we will be paying him what he deserves. we don’t lose a player when he accepts arbitration dumbass.

4. Jim Norby - Dec 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM

5. Robert Lockwood Mills - Dec 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM

If there’s one guy on the Bosox who should be untouchable, it’s Jacoby Ellsbury. Replace him with Mike Cameron? Are you kidding me?

6. Deese Knutts - Dec 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Of course Big Papi isn’t the player he used to be- he can’t juice anymore. Now, those homeruns are just pop ups.

7. Nick Seddon - Dec 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM

You all should try this site. The site gives you 10 cents 2 start with and if you get past 20 dollars they will wend you real money. follow the link if you are interested

8. Jack Marshall - Dec 24, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Let’s see: Bay is only a .260 hitter’; Drew is “marginal at best,” Papi was juicing, the Sox are getting older; Ortiz will play first; the Red Sox should pack it in; J.D. Drew–the Sox’s best outfielder– as a DH—that’s an amazing number of ill-informed, ignorant Red Sox comments in one thread. I wonder what the record is?

9. MLBfan - Dec 24, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Is Craig Calcaterra a Yankee fanboy? He sounds like one.

10. Jason - Dec 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM

A lot of baseball is about stats. My favorite offensive stat is to add runs scored with RBIs. Offensively, these two stats added together mean more than any other stat imaginable. If you add these two up for Jason Bay you get 222, more than anybody else on the team. Pedroia’s number is 189, Ellsbury’s 154, Martinez’s 196, Ortiz’s 176, Youkilis’s 193, Drew’s 152, Lowell’s 129, Halliday’s 203. And I judge players by their positions. A good shortstop, second baseman, or catcher should have a combined number of 140. A good first baseman, third baseman, or outfielder should get you 180. If they can’t get these kinds of numbers then they better play great defense. And a good DH should get you 200.

11. Matt - Dec 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Jason Bay was second in RBIs in the A.L. to Mark Teixeira; 122 to 119. He was sixth in runs scored with 103, Pedroia had 115. I really doubt Bay would allow 70 more runs than Drew defensively, or even 68 more than Ellsbury. Very few left fielders are noted for their defense or are that important in that position.

12. Ralph Kramden - Dec 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM

“Why would the Sox be back in on Jason Bay?” Because Cameron is not going to replace Bay’s bat. He’s not going to replace Ortiz’s either. The Cameron move makes no sense unless Ellsbury is trade bait for a corner infielder.

13. Mark - Dec 24, 2009 at 9:05 PM

If you add runs scored with RBIs the leader in the AL was Mark Teixeria with 225, Evan Longoria was second with 223, and Jason Bay was third with 222.

14. Baseball fan - Dec 24, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Maybe the juice is catching up to Ortiz or the lack of juice?

15. Joe - Dec 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

I didn’t realize there was an award for leading in HR’s for half a season.

16. Arendell - Dec 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM

You show how little you know about how Theo thinks. First Theo has always been one to want to go with youth over age. He did not want to resign Lowell. But was told to. As we fans were makeing to much noise that ownership directed him into it.
    Back when Pedro was finishing his last contract with us, the owner said, sign him and were on board with it. But Theo showed him were it was a bad investmen, with Pedro’s health as it was. Ya, The Met ate a tuff signing of one of the ganes greatest pitcher. He just now is comeing right again.
    He moved Manny as fast as he could after he hit 35 years old. And wanted to pass on Tek last year. We can fuss up a storm for our Old Dogs. It is us fans who want some of the old crowd around not *THEO* !! he like our team Young and with many players raided up thru the system as can be.

17. Bill - Dec 25, 2009 at 6:07 AM

Ortiz and Manny were juiced up. Obviously nobody is returning to form next season.

18. billybill - Dec 25, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Nobody said there is.
    There is a Hank Aaron award though,worthless as it is.

19. planktondisciple - Dec 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Obviously a two month slump can’t be dismissed. But neither can finishing the last four months at or near the top in hrs and rbis. Fact is for the the last two thirds of the season he was one of the most prudctive, and clutch power hitters in the league. The case for no juice no production is preposterous. He finished with four excellent months. The same can be sad of no Manny behind him.
    The Sox are not done with Papi, nor should they be.

20. hookemhorns - Dec 25, 2009 at 8:45 PM

wow, idk, im kinda confused by the redsox, i dont understand some of the trades and deals theyve made. to all the people who say the sox are not gonna do anything this coming year, i say who knows whats gonna happen. cameron could have a major year, big papi could do good, who knows whats gonna happen, look at last year, people were saying we had the divison all wraped up, then it all fell apart and the yanks got hot and we got cold(really cold). im a big sox fan, i watch the games, i dont claim to know alot about baseball, i know that HR’S, RBI’S, SB, and all that stuff are important but a player can put up one stat one year and totally different ones the next, thats what makes this game so great, its who is good and when. the sox have a great farm system also, which helps them make deals so im leavin all this speculation over this and that and i cant wait till the season starts and it all plays out.

21. riscifiguy - Dec 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM

As soon as any play signs with bore-ass he should be traded immediately! No exceptions.

22. Metstastic - Dec 25, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Now I’m a Mets fan… but I think the reason the Sox wants to go back with another offer is because it appears that Bay wants to really play for the Sox and therefore they can get a hometown discount… at which point they can trade one of the other OFers they have.

23. agent 7125 - Dec 26, 2009 at 4:03 AM

Hey yankees27 : The only asterisk concerning the 2004 World Series Champions Boston Red Sox is one symbolizing your sphincter as it puckered up when the Red Sox came back from being down 3 games to none amd beat your Yankees by winning 4 games straight.

24. Jon in Naples - Dec 26, 2009 at 9:48 AM

David Ortiz has been a leader and a good example of what a baseball player can be. He’s always been there to congratulate his team mates. He will be the first one to know there is no “I” in team and he has to know it is time for his graceful exit. Big Papi will always be remembered in RS Nation as is Yaz, Fisk, Peski, etc. It pains me to say it, but it is time for his exit. J.D. Drew as DH? I don’t see it. We need someone like Vlad Gerrrero (sp) for a year so a methodical search can be made for the right DH.

25. Jimmy Vo - Dec 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Hey! Du.
    I have been lived in Boston almost over 10yrs and I have been followed Red Sox very closely. All this players that wear the Red Sox uniform with good people and they did a lot for the community services. I am still the Red Sox fans! Regarding, whatever happened in the offseason. When general manager Theo of the Red Sox signed ace pitcher John Lakey that was a good move by the Red Sox decision for the fan, plus they add another outfielders Mike Cameron with also a good moved. So, if you’re a Yankee Fan! that you lived in Boston area, please think again and most importantly, this is bean town, lived and die in sports and I means all sports, not just baseball only. Such as Celtic, Bruin, NE Patriots and they all have somethings in common. I am not a die hard fans of sport but I have watching NE pro-sport very much alike drinking water everyday to live. I am drinking water to live, same things about sports, especially, NE sport and if they wins game by game that good and so, they lose and so what. Not like you give up everything in order to follow sports.
    Peace Out! Have a nice Holiday. What is your wish list for Santa Clau this CHRISTMAS? My wishing list is Bay or Matt Holliday would fall to Red Sox lap. I would referred [Matt Holliday] because his last name was the same as Holliday, ring the bell to you. 1 year from now and my prediction is Red Sox would walk away with “World Series Champ.” What is your excuse for not being the CHAMP.?

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4061)