Dec 26, 2009, 2:26 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko thinks some of the remaining free agents on the market should consider lowering their asking prices.
Adrian Beltre, for instance, is still seeking $10-$15 million annually. Plenty of teams are interested in the defensively stellar third baseman, but not at that price. Adam LaRoche is rumored to be asking for a three-year, $30 million deal. He’s out of his mind if he thinks that’s coming. Ben Sheets reportedly wants $12 million, but he hasn’t thrown a pitch since September of 2008.
With so many free agents still looking for employment, baseball’s vaunted free agency period has suddenly blossomed into a buyer’s market and teams aren’t going to fork over major multi-year deals. Even Matt Holliday and Jason Bay are struggling to find offers that appeal to them.
Most of us saw this coming. Revenues are down all over the league and team philosophies have shifted more toward development. But super-agent Scott Boras seems plenty surprised and a whole lot of veteran players are going to be jobless come March and April.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)