Dec 26, 2009, 3:32 PM EDT
As MLB.com’s Mark Newman points out, today — Saturday, Dec. 26, 2009 — marks the 90th anniversary of the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
The infamous deal lost some of its luster once the Red Sox snapped the supposed “curse” it brought upon the franchise with their sweep of the Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, but it’s an important day in baseball history nonetheless. In fact, as Newman points out, it’s an important day in world history:
The Ruth sale happened on Dec. 26, 1919.
The FM radio was patented on Dec. 26, 1933.
The United Soviet Socialist Republic was formally
dissolved on Dec. 26, 1991.
Two disasters have occurred on Dec. 26: the Indian Ocean
tsunami in 2004 and a Taiwan earthquake in 2006.
Mao Zedong was born on Dec. 26, 1893.
The Pilgrims landed at what became New Plymouth on Dec. 26, 1690,
And on Dec. 26, 1776, the British lost the Battle of Trenton after General George Washington led his troops across the Delaware River.
Cursed or not, it’s a day of much importance. And to us baseball fans, it doesn’t get much more important than the Big Bambino. The “Sultan of Swat” had a .342/.474/.690 career batting line over 22 professional seasons. He hit 714 home runs and tallied 2217 runs batted in. We celebrate a lot this time of year — the holidays, a new year, good food — and yet it always seems relevant to celebrate the game’s ultimate icon.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)