Dec 26, 2009, 3:32 PM EST
As MLB.com’s Mark Newman points out, today — Saturday, Dec. 26, 2009 — marks the 90th anniversary of the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
The infamous deal lost some of its luster once the Red Sox snapped the supposed “curse” it brought upon the franchise with their sweep of the Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, but it’s an important day in baseball history nonetheless. In fact, as Newman points out, it’s an important day in world history:
The Ruth sale happened on Dec. 26, 1919.
The FM radio was patented on Dec. 26, 1933.
The United Soviet Socialist Republic was formally
dissolved on Dec. 26, 1991.
Two disasters have occurred on Dec. 26: the Indian Ocean
tsunami in 2004 and a Taiwan earthquake in 2006.
Mao Zedong was born on Dec. 26, 1893.
The Pilgrims landed at what became New Plymouth on Dec. 26, 1690,
And on Dec. 26, 1776, the British lost the Battle of Trenton after General George Washington led his troops across the Delaware River.
Cursed or not, it’s a day of much importance. And to us baseball fans, it doesn’t get much more important than the Big Bambino. The “Sultan of Swat” had a .342/.474/.690 career batting line over 22 professional seasons. He hit 714 home runs and tallied 2217 runs batted in. We celebrate a lot this time of year — the holidays, a new year, good food — and yet it always seems relevant to celebrate the game’s ultimate icon.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)