Dec 26, 2009, 3:32 PM EDT
As MLB.com’s Mark Newman points out, today — Saturday, Dec. 26, 2009 — marks the 90th anniversary of the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
The infamous deal lost some of its luster once the Red Sox snapped the supposed “curse” it brought upon the franchise with their sweep of the Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, but it’s an important day in baseball history nonetheless. In fact, as Newman points out, it’s an important day in world history:
The Ruth sale happened on Dec. 26, 1919.
The FM radio was patented on Dec. 26, 1933.
The United Soviet Socialist Republic was formally
dissolved on Dec. 26, 1991.
Two disasters have occurred on Dec. 26: the Indian Ocean
tsunami in 2004 and a Taiwan earthquake in 2006.
Mao Zedong was born on Dec. 26, 1893.
The Pilgrims landed at what became New Plymouth on Dec. 26, 1690,
And on Dec. 26, 1776, the British lost the Battle of Trenton after General George Washington led his troops across the Delaware River.
Cursed or not, it’s a day of much importance. And to us baseball fans, it doesn’t get much more important than the Big Bambino. The “Sultan of Swat” had a .342/.474/.690 career batting line over 22 professional seasons. He hit 714 home runs and tallied 2217 runs batted in. We celebrate a lot this time of year — the holidays, a new year, good food — and yet it always seems relevant to celebrate the game’s ultimate icon.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 0
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)