Dec 26, 2009, 3:32 PM EST
As MLB.com’s Mark Newman points out, today — Saturday, Dec. 26, 2009 — marks the 90th anniversary of the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
The infamous deal lost some of its luster once the Red Sox snapped the supposed “curse” it brought upon the franchise with their sweep of the Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, but it’s an important day in baseball history nonetheless. In fact, as Newman points out, it’s an important day in world history:
The Ruth sale happened on Dec. 26, 1919.
The FM radio was patented on Dec. 26, 1933.
The United Soviet Socialist Republic was formally
dissolved on Dec. 26, 1991.
Two disasters have occurred on Dec. 26: the Indian Ocean
tsunami in 2004 and a Taiwan earthquake in 2006.
Mao Zedong was born on Dec. 26, 1893.
The Pilgrims landed at what became New Plymouth on Dec. 26, 1690,
And on Dec. 26, 1776, the British lost the Battle of Trenton after General George Washington led his troops across the Delaware River.
Cursed or not, it’s a day of much importance. And to us baseball fans, it doesn’t get much more important than the Big Bambino. The “Sultan of Swat” had a .342/.474/.690 career batting line over 22 professional seasons. He hit 714 home runs and tallied 2217 runs batted in. We celebrate a lot this time of year — the holidays, a new year, good food — and yet it always seems relevant to celebrate the game’s ultimate icon.
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 6
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 254
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (254)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)