Dec 26, 2009, 3:32 PM EDT
As MLB.com’s Mark Newman points out, today — Saturday, Dec. 26, 2009 — marks the 90th anniversary of the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
The infamous deal lost some of its luster once the Red Sox snapped the supposed “curse” it brought upon the franchise with their sweep of the Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, but it’s an important day in baseball history nonetheless. In fact, as Newman points out, it’s an important day in world history:
The Ruth sale happened on Dec. 26, 1919.
The FM radio was patented on Dec. 26, 1933.
The United Soviet Socialist Republic was formally
dissolved on Dec. 26, 1991.
Two disasters have occurred on Dec. 26: the Indian Ocean
tsunami in 2004 and a Taiwan earthquake in 2006.
Mao Zedong was born on Dec. 26, 1893.
The Pilgrims landed at what became New Plymouth on Dec. 26, 1690,
And on Dec. 26, 1776, the British lost the Battle of Trenton after General George Washington led his troops across the Delaware River.
Cursed or not, it’s a day of much importance. And to us baseball fans, it doesn’t get much more important than the Big Bambino. The “Sultan of Swat” had a .342/.474/.690 career batting line over 22 professional seasons. He hit 714 home runs and tallied 2217 runs batted in. We celebrate a lot this time of year — the holidays, a new year, good food — and yet it always seems relevant to celebrate the game’s ultimate icon.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)