Dec 26, 2009, 2:47 PM EST
UPDATED: Escobar passed his physical, according to SI.com’s Jon Heyman.
ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick has confirmed that the Mets and right-hander Kelvim Escobar have agreed to a one-year, $1.25 million contract.
Francisco Blavia of Lider en Deportes, a Venezuelan news service, first reported the news on Twitter. Escobar will be handed a $125,000 bonus if he makes the Mets’ Opening Day roster. He can also earn up to $2 million in performance-based incentives.
The 33-year-old right-hander has made just one major league appearance in the last two years because of lingering shoulder issues, but he compiled a 3.40 ERA over 30 starts in 2007 and has a 4.15 ERA in 202 career major league starts. The Mets are expected to try him out as a setup man.
The deal is pending only a completed physical, which Crasnick believes should run smoothly.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)