Some Red Sox odds and ends from Peter Gammons

Dec 26, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT

Now that Peter Gammons is officially back covering the Red Sox as a part of his NESN gig, he probably feels a lot more comfortable simply working the Boston sources he’s cultivated for thirty some-odd years, and we get the benefit of it.  He was on WEEI the other day and offered the following Sox tidbits:

• Forget the renewed interest in Jason Bay stuff. Not happening. They made their best offer last summer, it was no better (and maybe worse) than what the Mets have out there now, and it’s not getting any better. My thought: if Bay does go back to the Sox anyway, how much of an eff-you is that to the Mets? Then again, given how long he’s left them hanging on their current offer, the eff-you is already implied;
  • No matter how much people want it to happen, the Sox and the Padres haven’t even talked about potential players that would be involved in an Adrain Gonzalez deal.  As I and many others have noted in the past, Jed Hoyer is the one GM in baseball who can’t be hoodwinked by Theo when it comes to Red Sox prospects, so rather than the Padres and Sox being ideal trading partners, they’re actually horribly matched;
  • Better bet for a big bat in Boston: an early-season Detroit Tigers swoon followed by a trade for Miguel Cabrera.  Yes, he’s more expensive than Gonzalez, but because of that he could no doubt be more easily had;
  • Jacoby Ellsbury is going to play a lot of left field.  Reason: it will help save his legs, and since Mike Cameron is in the fold, it won’t mean much of a defensive hit. Ulterior motive I’m totally making up but which seems plausible: Ellsbury as a left fielder would have lower arbitration comparables than Ellsbury as a centerfielder.  Though I’ll admit, I don’t know that the Sox really think that way;
  • Daisuke Matsuzaka is in “unbelievable shape.”  I don’t suppose that fitness will translate into him working any faster, will it? I’d like to be able to watch one of his starts without falling asleep one of these years.
  • Some wishy-washy talk about how Mike Lowell could be an important contributor and presence and all of that.  I still think they pay for him to to go someplace else.

Lots of other Red Sox dish at the link.  Plenty to chew on with your holiday leftovers.

1. Mo Green - Dec 26, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Dice-K is ponderous at the best of times, but like a lot of pitchers, he slows down when he gets in trouble. Best case – if fitness translates to good health – he stays out of trouble, stops walking everyone and works much faster overall.
    The biggest reason Mike Cameron should play more CF than Ellsbury is …. drumroll …. he a MUCH better centerfielder. And as opposed as I and many others here appear to be to capital letters, he’s so much better a CF than Ellsbury that it isn’t even funny. The eyes can almost deceive on Jacoby’s awfulness at judging flyballs. He’s so fast that he can outrun a lot of indecisiveness and mistakes.
    He’s so bad that I wonder while I’m watching him if he has eyes like Mr. Magoo and he’s just too proud to admit it. Everyone knows a person like that, proud and stubborn, not the most logical. Just saying. They should equip him with radar and a heads-up display or something.

2. john pileggi - Dec 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Gammons is the most interesting and well-informed guy who covers baseball.

3. kyle - Dec 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Give Bay the damn money! Make a legitimate offer to the Padres for Gonzalez! You can not hope to compete in that division with less talent than the “Evil Empire”. We have the money…..we have an awesome pitching staff……lets bolster the line-up to match and get after it!!!!!!!!! CF Ellsbury
    2B Pedroia
    1B Youkilis
    3B Gonzalez
    LF Bay
    C Martinez
    RF Cameron/Drew
    SS Scutarro
    DH Ortiz/????
    Maybe a tweak here or there……..that is one hell of a line-up!!!!!!!!!!

4. Baseball First - Dec 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM

That is the best 3rd place lineup I have seen so far.

5. DreamOnYankeeFandom - Dec 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM

If you are a Yankees fan, you have nothing but a false sense of reality if you think the Red Sox can come in third place with that starting rotation they’ve assembled.
    Enough. The obcession over the Red Sox offense is blinding people to how unbelievable that pitching staff is going to be in 2010.

6. baseball10 - Dec 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Craig,
    One question… I find it odd that comments have come from you and others about how much more comfortable the Boston guy Gammons will be now working for NESN.
    Why do guys like Heyman over at SI and Buster Olney consistently get off the hook for being too Nu Yawk-focused in their work at times? I have seen many

7. baseball10 - Dec 26, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Just to finish up the last part of the above post:
    I have seen many New York hacks in the media in more bigger numbers than Boston ones. Simply because New York has more guys in the media anyway (#1 media market), their writers have huge influence.
    Particularly Yankee writers…

8. Baseball First - Dec 26, 2009 at 6:38 PM

That is what you said last year and the year before. Talk about blinded by the history. I was generous with 3rd place. That is reality. By the way, obsession does not have ‘c’ in it.

9. Riiiight - Dec 26, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Baseball First….
    You’re a douchebag

10. Matuszakacaka - Dec 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM

i heard dice k was working at friendly’s – is this his pic? http://bit.ly/dicek

11. Joe Red - Dec 27, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Dude, you are clueless. I’m not taking anything away from Cameron, who is a great defensive player, but you’re so far off on Ellsbury that I don’t even think you’ve ever seen him play. You’re ignorance is everyone else’s laughter.

12. Joe Red - Dec 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Dude, you are clueless. I’m not taking anything away from Cameron, who is a great defensive player, but you’re so far off on Ellsbury that I don’t even think you’ve ever seen him play. Your ignorance is everyone else’s laughter.

13. Mo Green - Dec 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Dear Joe:
    If you’re going to talk sh!t then you should figure out how to post a comment. And you should have some sort of argument to back up your ignorant and misguided attempt at correcting what was already correct.
    Ellsbury’s UZR/150 in CF … -18.3
    For a guy I’d put in the top 5 fastest in MLB – that’s astonishingly bad. Good thing you know what you’re looking at though, and an even better thing that you’re so good at making and argument and pressing the “post comment” button. Repeatedly.

14. com - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Bay deal just finalized with the Mets… Turn out the lights Beantown. Your offense was terrible in the 2nd half of the season. It just fell off the charts.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet