Dec 27, 2009, 10:58 AM EDT
“I think he’d rather be playing in Beirut than Queens.”
- Peter Gammons describes his impression of Jason Bay’s interest, or lack thereof, in signing with the Mets, during an appearance on WEEI in Boston.
Ouch. Reading various Mets’ blogs over the course of the past few days tells me
that at this point the team’s fans are just as disinterested in having Bay as
he is in playing in Citi Field. Call me cynical, but I feel the team’s
interest in Bay had more to do with a hesitancy to get involved in
protracted negotiations with Matt Holliday — the far superior
all-around player — than anything else.
Granted, Bay would provide the Mets with a short-term boost
offensively, but given his age and particular skillset, he’s simply not
worth adding an extra year. A five or six-year contractual commitment
to an all-hit, no field-player in a pitcher’s park would ignore the
real deficiencies of the team. It didn’t make sense upon the team’s
initial interest and it makes even less sense now.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona