Lackey-to-Red Sox was a 'family decision'

Dec 27, 2009, 10:51 AM EDT

Krista Lackey-Francona.jpgJohn Lackey’s initial interest in signing with the Red Sox even caught general manager Theo Epstein off-guard, but the pairing begins to make a bit more sense now that we find out Lackey’s wife Krista went to Sanford High School in Maine and graduated from the University of New Hampshire:

“I don’t think they thought I’d be interested,” John Lackey said
Wednesday at the news conference announcing his signing. “But I always
was. I definitely had to have my agent really let them know I was
serious about this. The wife helped out a lot. My wife went to UNH.
Coming to Boston was a family decision.”

It all sounds great, but the $82.8 million the Red Sox forked over probably didn’t hurt, either. You know, it’s a good thing Lackey signed on the dotted line before someone puked on Krista’s fur coat in Kenmore Square. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Something you may have missed during the rush up to Christmas, Lackey’s contract includes a conditional option for 2015 at the major league minimum
if the right-hander is forced to miss significant time due to an old
elbow injury. Lackey has missed starts over each of the past two
seasons with elbow issues.

1. Old Gator - Dec 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Whoever it was who puked on Krista must have eaten some of that canned clam chowder at Legal Seafood. No wonder they got sick, especially when they got the check – maybe the second most overpriced seafood restaurant in the country (after Joe’s Stone Crab). Suggestion: stop throwing on on the wife of the mainstay of your new rotation and go eat at The Clam Box on Wollaston Beach. It’s much less expensive, and if I’m not mistaken the Yankee fan who used to own it sold it off some years ago – that or he wised up after enough telephoned death threats and Blue Hills rattlesnakes left in his glove box and took down all those pictures of DiMaggio, Mantle and Whitey Ford, and put up a photo of Thurman Munson’s Cessna Citation to underline his contrition.

2. Sorry Mets - Dec 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM

DJ Short,
    Why are you posting a weeks-old story of Krista Lackey being from Maine and saying that at her husband’s press conference?

3. puker - Dec 28, 2009 at 12:40 AM

the guy probably was puking up those red sox steroids http://bit.ly/redsoxsteroids from jerry remy’s son

4. ecp - Dec 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM

She shouldn’t have been wearing fur anyway.

5. Zak - Dec 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Why does it look like Francona is sitting on someone’s shoulders with that trench coat?
    Is he trying to sneak a friend into a movie or something?

6. Daniella Borreta - Jan 9, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

7. Jo Gerstenkorn - Jan 17, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Thanks very much for putting together this great site.

8. Ali Vernola - Jan 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

9. Football headlines - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM

We just couldnt leave your website before saying that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4725)