Dec 27, 2009, 10:51 AM EDT
John Lackey’s initial interest in signing with the Red Sox even caught general manager Theo Epstein off-guard, but the pairing begins to make a bit more sense now that we find out Lackey’s wife Krista went to Sanford High School in Maine and graduated from the University of New Hampshire:
“I don’t think they thought I’d be interested,” John Lackey said
Wednesday at the news conference announcing his signing. “But I always
was. I definitely had to have my agent really let them know I was
serious about this. The wife helped out a lot. My wife went to UNH.
Coming to Boston was a family decision.”
It all sounds great, but the $82.8 million the Red Sox forked over probably didn’t hurt, either. You know, it’s a good thing Lackey signed on the dotted line before someone puked on Krista’s fur coat in Kenmore Square. Welcome to the neighborhood!
Something you may have missed during the rush up to Christmas, Lackey’s contract includes a conditional option for 2015 at the major league minimum
if the right-hander is forced to miss significant time due to an old
elbow injury. Lackey has missed starts over each of the past two
seasons with elbow issues.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)