Dec 28, 2009, 2:44 PM EDT
I’d like to think that the Mariners saw what the Nationals did earlier today, decided that they would NOT be outdone in the almost negligible transaction department and rushed to sign Josh Bard and Chad Cordero.
Maybe this isn’t quite as minor as Washington’s deal: you actually start your backup catcher once in a while, so Bard should come in mildly handy. He’s a switch hitter. He might luck into the occasional home run.
Cordero was once an All-Star closer who lost half of 2008 and all of 2009 with shoulder surgery.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)