Dec 28, 2009, 2:44 PM EDT
I’d like to think that the Mariners saw what the Nationals did earlier today, decided that they would NOT be outdone in the almost negligible transaction department and rushed to sign Josh Bard and Chad Cordero.
Maybe this isn’t quite as minor as Washington’s deal: you actually start your backup catcher once in a while, so Bard should come in mildly handy. He’s a switch hitter. He might luck into the occasional home run.
Cordero was once an All-Star closer who lost half of 2008 and all of 2009 with shoulder surgery.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)