Dec 28, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT
With the Jason Bay negotiations at an utter standstill, that whole “we think Jason Bay may be easier to sign than Matt Holliday” stuff we had previously heard from the Mets may no longer be operative. I mean sure, Holliday is represented by Boras, but at least Boras will return your calls. Bay is apparently off on Mars contemplating existence or something.
Omar acknowledged this last night when he said “we are pursuing Matt Holliday.” He still said Bay would be an easier deal to make, but he probably has to say that unless and until Bay finally tells him that he wants no part of the Mets.
Holliday may or may not want to play in New York — if he uses the Mets as leverage against the Cardinals the Cards will probably tell him to have fun in Queens — but he’d probably be a better choice for the Mets than Bay would in terms of defense, age and all of that.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 8
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 96
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (104)