Dec 28, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT
With the Jason Bay negotiations at an utter standstill, that whole “we think Jason Bay may be easier to sign than Matt Holliday” stuff we had previously heard from the Mets may no longer be operative. I mean sure, Holliday is represented by Boras, but at least Boras will return your calls. Bay is apparently off on Mars contemplating existence or something.
Omar acknowledged this last night when he said “we are pursuing Matt Holliday.” He still said Bay would be an easier deal to make, but he probably has to say that unless and until Bay finally tells him that he wants no part of the Mets.
Holliday may or may not want to play in New York — if he uses the Mets as leverage against the Cardinals the Cards will probably tell him to have fun in Queens — but he’d probably be a better choice for the Mets than Bay would in terms of defense, age and all of that.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)