Dec 28, 2009, 9:00 AM EST
With the Jason Bay negotiations at an utter standstill, that whole “we think Jason Bay may be easier to sign than Matt Holliday” stuff we had previously heard from the Mets may no longer be operative. I mean sure, Holliday is represented by Boras, but at least Boras will return your calls. Bay is apparently off on Mars contemplating existence or something.
Omar acknowledged this last night when he said “we are pursuing Matt Holliday.” He still said Bay would be an easier deal to make, but he probably has to say that unless and until Bay finally tells him that he wants no part of the Mets.
Holliday may or may not want to play in New York — if he uses the Mets as leverage against the Cardinals the Cards will probably tell him to have fun in Queens — but he’d probably be a better choice for the Mets than Bay would in terms of defense, age and all of that.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)