Dec 28, 2009, 7:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: DeRosa has passed his physical, according to Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Giants are on the verge of signing Mark DeRosa to a two-year contract.
Earlier this offseason DeRosa was said to be seeking a three-year deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million per season, but he seemingly overestimated the market for a good but not great 35-year-old coming off a significant injury.
For better or worse Giants general manager Brian Sabean has always been willing to spend big on non-elite veterans on the wrong side of 30, so San Francisco is a natural destination. No word yet on the money, but previous reports had the Giants offering DeRosa around $12 million for two years.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)