Dec 28, 2009, 7:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: DeRosa has passed his physical, according to Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Giants are on the verge of signing Mark DeRosa to a two-year contract.
Earlier this offseason DeRosa was said to be seeking a three-year deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million per season, but he seemingly overestimated the market for a good but not great 35-year-old coming off a significant injury.
For better or worse Giants general manager Brian Sabean has always been willing to spend big on non-elite veterans on the wrong side of 30, so San Francisco is a natural destination. No word yet on the money, but previous reports had the Giants offering DeRosa around $12 million for two years.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)