Dec 28, 2009, 9:59 AM EDT
Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says the Braves have $7 million to play with and still plan on making a move or two. Possibilities: going after another bat, such as Xavier Nady, who would be useful because he could fill the hole in left and cover for Glaus if he continues to be fraglie (or by playing first and allowing Glaus to cover third when Chipper gets hurt).
Another option that has been discussed before is Dan Uggla. This is problematic inasmuch as Uggla doesn’t want to come off second base and Martin
Prado won the second base job last year and appears to be a favorite of Bobby Cox. But again, there’s the flexibility play here in that there’s a decent shot that Glaus or Jones will be get hurt, and Prado can play first and third. Of course you’re still light in left field then, especially if, as O’Brien suggests, they’d get Uggla by trading Melky Cabrera.
As we’ve discussed at length, the Braves’ offseason moves have been sub-optimal thus far. But unlike in previous years when their sub-optimal moves would leave them with, say, a left fielder who can’t play anywhere else, this year’s weak moves have left them with some flexibility.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)