Dec 28, 2009, 9:59 AM EDT
Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says the Braves have $7 million to play with and still plan on making a move or two. Possibilities: going after another bat, such as Xavier Nady, who would be useful because he could fill the hole in left and cover for Glaus if he continues to be fraglie (or by playing first and allowing Glaus to cover third when Chipper gets hurt).
Another option that has been discussed before is Dan Uggla. This is problematic inasmuch as Uggla doesn’t want to come off second base and Martin
Prado won the second base job last year and appears to be a favorite of Bobby Cox. But again, there’s the flexibility play here in that there’s a decent shot that Glaus or Jones will be get hurt, and Prado can play first and third. Of course you’re still light in left field then, especially if, as O’Brien suggests, they’d get Uggla by trading Melky Cabrera.
As we’ve discussed at length, the Braves’ offseason moves have been sub-optimal thus far. But unlike in previous years when their sub-optimal moves would leave them with, say, a left fielder who can’t play anywhere else, this year’s weak moves have left them with some flexibility.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)