Dec 28, 2009, 9:59 AM EDT
Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says the Braves have $7 million to play with and still plan on making a move or two. Possibilities: going after another bat, such as Xavier Nady, who would be useful because he could fill the hole in left and cover for Glaus if he continues to be fraglie (or by playing first and allowing Glaus to cover third when Chipper gets hurt).
Another option that has been discussed before is Dan Uggla. This is problematic inasmuch as Uggla doesn’t want to come off second base and Martin
Prado won the second base job last year and appears to be a favorite of Bobby Cox. But again, there’s the flexibility play here in that there’s a decent shot that Glaus or Jones will be get hurt, and Prado can play first and third. Of course you’re still light in left field then, especially if, as O’Brien suggests, they’d get Uggla by trading Melky Cabrera.
As we’ve discussed at length, the Braves’ offseason moves have been sub-optimal thus far. But unlike in previous years when their sub-optimal moves would leave them with, say, a left fielder who can’t play anywhere else, this year’s weak moves have left them with some flexibility.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)