The clock is ticking, Mr. Holliday

Dec 28, 2009, 11:48 AM EDT

MLB Trade Rumors has a nice summary of the state of Matt Holliday’s market.  The upshot: he’s gone from an offer that would have paid him $82 million over four years from the Rockies in 2008 to a five or maybe six year deal that would pay him $80 million from the Cardinals, and maybe a five year, $85 million deal from the Red Sox, though that has been withdrawn.

Negotiation: you’re doing it wrong, Matt Holliday.

How much longer is Holliday going to hold out?  Historically speaking, big free agents don’t get better offers over time.  At best they stay stagnant. Remember Manny Ramirez? He got his first offer from Dodgers on November 7th last year.  It was for two years and $45 million.  Boras said the offer wasn’t long enough. On March 3rd he signed 2 years and $45 million. Yeah, I guess he got an opt-out provision out of it, but even then it seemed like a bit of pipe dream that he’d ever get to use it.

Maybe I’m just conservative by nature and prefer that bird in the hand to the two in the bush. But even so, it strikes me that Holliday should have taken the Rockies’ offer in 2008 and, at the very least, should have jumped at any offer of $80+ million that came along after that.

He’s lost one already from Boston. He may or may not get another one from the Mets. How much longer until St. Louis pulls its offer off the table?

1. themarksmith - Dec 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM

They won’t drop their offer because they are in the better position and could definitely use him. They’re the NL Central favorite with him and only contender without him.
    There are still plenty of options out there for LF. If the options dwindle, the number of options for Holliday dwindles as well (if teams take up the LF options, they no longer need him).
    Even with the Yankees and Red Sox on the prowl, Bay is still out there. The teams could play the two off of each other to at least keep the prices where they are.
    With the known lack of interest around the game, no team is going to significantly up the price from the Cards’ offer. The Yankees and Red Sox have more money, but that doesn’t mean they want to overpay for a guy they don’t have to.
    And neither the Yankees or Red Sox really need Holliday. They could use him, but they don’t have to have him like the Yankees needed Teixeira last season.
    The Cards may have to up their offer a little, but I don’t think they really have to bid against anyone.

2. YankeesfanLen - Dec 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM

The millions are ticking away, Mr. Damon.

3. Arendell - Dec 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM

This is so so funny to us fan. Matt H. has become a big joke.!!! He stated he turned down the offer from the Rockies because he want to stay in one place. 2 teams later and looking for a 3rd. He is right back were he was. And still turning down what he asked for from the Rockies. (a winning team and +=years!
    No one belives he and BoneA$$ will deal fairly. And any contract thay offer will be brought to the Yank’s to match or top. Sorry if I was a GM. I want to know what it would take to have that player play for me,NOW. And not make that offer and see it passed to an other team to match or top.
    Sorry if that is how you do it.All I could say to that agent is, BYE BYE see ya later. I will not waste my time doing a contract with you unless that player want to play for my team,now. I am not here to set the base contract for other teams offer.
    Matt joke H. & J-Bay read what is happening. Your at the top of what your going to get this off season. Pick a team and sign.
    Ok Bay you only have one team the Mets.No one else needs/wants your double clucking throws and late breaks to the ball. Yes thay offered more than the Sox.
    Matt, Ya should have taken what the Rockies offered. I was a great deal then and still looks like a good offer today. The Cards should follow what the Red Sox said to ya.OK, 80 ++ not good enought bye see ya. We don’t want ya with us now.. 85mil not good enought. Play better! And stop dropping Easy flyball outs. Thay cost ya Millions !!!!!!!!

4. Pam - Dec 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM

As a Cards fan, I wish STL would move on and leave this bum and his lying agent blowing in the wind. It’s apparent to everyone, except these two, that not many teams are even interested enough to talk to them!
    If he really wanted to play for the Cards, he’d have signed by now!

5. YANKEES1996 - Dec 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I guarantee you that neither Bay nor Holliday wants to be the first to sign. I think Holliday does want to play in St.Louis, he is getting bad advice from his agent the same as Damon. Different players, same stupid agent, same stupid advice, how strange?
    Jason Bay is different, first of all he is dealing with the Mets, enough said! Jason Bay has had injury concerns in the past and I’m sure that is slowing things down as well.
    The second part of their problem is that the market never seemed to develop for these two and the Red Sox and Yankees are not pushing the issue and therefore not inflating the market. These guys will sign but it may be into January before it happens. I don’t know where Bay is going but I don’t see it being back to the Red Sox. Matt Holliday needs to take the same advice I gave to Damon, get a fair deal and sign with the team you want to play with, St.Louis and fire your stupid agent!

6. steve - Dec 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I agree, I think the clock is ticking for matt holliday. I think in the next couple days or weeks at most that the cardinals are going to take their offer off the table, and use their money elsewhere. I just don’t see holliday signing with the cardinals.

7. Mark - Dec 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Absolutely correct. As a lifelong Cardinals fans I couldn’t agree more. I’m old enough to remember when Bob Gibson (who has more World Series rings than Mr. Holliday) earned $180,000 a year (that’s thousands, not millions)and ran his own sporting goods store in the off season.

8. Baseball10 - Dec 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Len, this blog entry isn’t actually about Johnny Damon.
    Nice try, but we don’t care about your former player

9. Rob - Dec 29, 2009 at 2:06 AM

I’m a die-hard Cardinals fan and I say pull the offer now. Use the money to get Beltre and Bay ,or Beltre/Dye/Bedard. Either one of those combos would replace Matt Holliboras’ production easy.
    I sincerely hope M.H. goes to the Mets and loses for the entire length of his ridiculously inflated contract he will receive.

Ace-killer Giants do it again