Dec 28, 2009, 11:48 AM EDT
MLB Trade Rumors has a nice summary of the state of Matt Holliday’s market. The upshot: he’s gone from an offer that would have paid him $82 million over four years from the Rockies in 2008 to a five or maybe six year deal that would pay him $80 million from the Cardinals, and maybe a five year, $85 million deal from the Red Sox, though that has been withdrawn.
Negotiation: you’re doing it wrong, Matt Holliday.
How much longer is Holliday going to hold out? Historically speaking, big free agents don’t get better offers over time. At best they stay stagnant. Remember Manny Ramirez? He got his first offer from Dodgers on November 7th last year. It was for two years and $45 million. Boras said the offer wasn’t long enough. On March 3rd he signed 2 years and $45 million. Yeah, I guess he got an opt-out provision out of it, but even then it seemed like a bit of pipe dream that he’d ever get to use it.
Maybe I’m just conservative by nature and prefer that bird in the hand to the two in the bush. But even so, it strikes me that Holliday should have taken the Rockies’ offer in 2008 and, at the very least, should have jumped at any offer of $80+ million that came along after that.
He’s lost one already from Boston. He may or may not get another one from the Mets. How much longer until St. Louis pulls its offer off the table?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)