Dec 29, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: Um, oops. Guess I was too quick to doubt Francesa. Apologies, Mike.
Yesterday, WFAN’s Mike Francesa said he will give a “major, major update on the Mets,” during today’s show.
Color me dubious that it will be about the Mets signing Jason Bay or even Bengie Molina or something big like that. Heck, color me dubious that it would even be about changing an “and” to an “or” in a sub-clause of Oliver Perez’s contract. There are reporters crawling all over that team. Anything truly “major” in terms of personnel would be reported by Adam Rubin or Marty Noble or Jon Heyman or somebody, not the afternoon drive guy.
Still, one wonders what this “major update” is going to be. I’m guessing that Omar Minaya has decided to fight fire with fire and announce that he’s in negotiations with a “mystery player,” using him to create leverage with Bay.
“He’s willing to take a one year deal,” Omar will say. “He’s really, really good. The Mets train is leaving the station, Jason, time to get on board!”
[silence, as Jason Bay looks longingly towards New England]
“OK, fine, we’ll give you seven years and a ‘must-trade’ clause.”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 32
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)