Dec 29, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: Um, oops. Guess I was too quick to doubt Francesa. Apologies, Mike.
Yesterday, WFAN’s Mike Francesa said he will give a “major, major update on the Mets,” during today’s show.
Color me dubious that it will be about the Mets signing Jason Bay or even Bengie Molina or something big like that. Heck, color me dubious that it would even be about changing an “and” to an “or” in a sub-clause of Oliver Perez’s contract. There are reporters crawling all over that team. Anything truly “major” in terms of personnel would be reported by Adam Rubin or Marty Noble or Jon Heyman or somebody, not the afternoon drive guy.
Still, one wonders what this “major update” is going to be. I’m guessing that Omar Minaya has decided to fight fire with fire and announce that he’s in negotiations with a “mystery player,” using him to create leverage with Bay.
“He’s willing to take a one year deal,” Omar will say. “He’s really, really good. The Mets train is leaving the station, Jason, time to get on board!”
[silence, as Jason Bay looks longingly towards New England]
“OK, fine, we’ll give you seven years and a ‘must-trade’ clause.”
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 25
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)