Dec 29, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: Um, oops. Guess I was too quick to doubt Francesa. Apologies, Mike.
Yesterday, WFAN’s Mike Francesa said he will give a “major, major update on the Mets,” during today’s show.
Color me dubious that it will be about the Mets signing Jason Bay or even Bengie Molina or something big like that. Heck, color me dubious that it would even be about changing an “and” to an “or” in a sub-clause of Oliver Perez’s contract. There are reporters crawling all over that team. Anything truly “major” in terms of personnel would be reported by Adam Rubin or Marty Noble or Jon Heyman or somebody, not the afternoon drive guy.
Still, one wonders what this “major update” is going to be. I’m guessing that Omar Minaya has decided to fight fire with fire and announce that he’s in negotiations with a “mystery player,” using him to create leverage with Bay.
“He’s willing to take a one year deal,” Omar will say. “He’s really, really good. The Mets train is leaving the station, Jason, time to get on board!”
[silence, as Jason Bay looks longingly towards New England]
“OK, fine, we’ll give you seven years and a ‘must-trade’ clause.”
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 26
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)