Dec 29, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: Um, oops. Guess I was too quick to doubt Francesa. Apologies, Mike.
Yesterday, WFAN’s Mike Francesa said he will give a “major, major update on the Mets,” during today’s show.
Color me dubious that it will be about the Mets signing Jason Bay or even Bengie Molina or something big like that. Heck, color me dubious that it would even be about changing an “and” to an “or” in a sub-clause of Oliver Perez’s contract. There are reporters crawling all over that team. Anything truly “major” in terms of personnel would be reported by Adam Rubin or Marty Noble or Jon Heyman or somebody, not the afternoon drive guy.
Still, one wonders what this “major update” is going to be. I’m guessing that Omar Minaya has decided to fight fire with fire and announce that he’s in negotiations with a “mystery player,” using him to create leverage with Bay.
“He’s willing to take a one year deal,” Omar will say. “He’s really, really good. The Mets train is leaving the station, Jason, time to get on board!”
[silence, as Jason Bay looks longingly towards New England]
“OK, fine, we’ll give you seven years and a ‘must-trade’ clause.”
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming