Dec 29, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: Um, oops. Guess I was too quick to doubt Francesa. Apologies, Mike.
Yesterday, WFAN’s Mike Francesa said he will give a “major, major update on the Mets,” during today’s show.
Color me dubious that it will be about the Mets signing Jason Bay or even Bengie Molina or something big like that. Heck, color me dubious that it would even be about changing an “and” to an “or” in a sub-clause of Oliver Perez’s contract. There are reporters crawling all over that team. Anything truly “major” in terms of personnel would be reported by Adam Rubin or Marty Noble or Jon Heyman or somebody, not the afternoon drive guy.
Still, one wonders what this “major update” is going to be. I’m guessing that Omar Minaya has decided to fight fire with fire and announce that he’s in negotiations with a “mystery player,” using him to create leverage with Bay.
“He’s willing to take a one year deal,” Omar will say. “He’s really, really good. The Mets train is leaving the station, Jason, time to get on board!”
[silence, as Jason Bay looks longingly towards New England]
“OK, fine, we’ll give you seven years and a ‘must-trade’ clause.”
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)