Dec 29, 2009, 4:03 PM EDT
We’ll have more analysis of the Bay signing later — my favorite reader comment so far compares it to the Mets getting Kevin McReynolds in 1987 — but in the meantime, know that it’s not necessarily a done deal.
We passed along reports over a month ago that Bay’s health might be a concern. Jerry Crasnick and Jon Heyman both bring them up anew today. There isn’t a sense of anything huge — he had hamstring problems late last year — but there is something making people think that the usual rubber-stamp physical may be something more drawn out and complicated.
I’d posit that you’re always gonna have health risks when you sign a guy over thirty to what amounts to a five year deal, but it’s the Mets’ money, not mine, so good luck for them and all that.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)