Death threat over a Dodgers cap? Sure, that's reasonable.

Dec 29, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT

Given how territorial New Yorkers seem to be, maybe that whole bring a third team to New York thing is too dangerous an idea:

A baseball fan threatened to kill a stranger who was wearing a Los Angeles Dodger’s hat in a Brooklyn diner yesterday. According to the Post,
38-year-old suspect Marcos Esteban — who was born 14 years after the
Dodger’s abandoned Brooklyn — menaced the Los Angeles fan with a
boxcutter for wearing the wrong ballcap to the eatery, which is near
the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Skillman Street.

My favorite thing about the whole incident is that the dude threatens to kill someone for absolutely no reason — wait, no reason would be better; this was for psychotic reasons — and he’s freed on $750 bail the same day.  I had a client who was once accused of embezzling money over the course of several years, had a family and a high-profile political job, and he had to pay, like, $250,000 bond. Which one would you feel safer to have out on the streets?

Anyway, if this guy is so worked up about a Dodgers cap in Brooklyn, don’t nobody tell him about the decline of big band music and the cancellation of “I Love Lucy.”

1. RichardInDallas - Dec 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM

This happening in New York City surprises you why, exactly?

2. GimmeSomeSteel - Dec 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

When I was in college in the mid-70s, a professor knocked my “A” grade down to a “C” when he, born a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, found out that my father grew up a NY Giants fan.
    And this was nowhere near NYC.

3. YANKEES1996 - Dec 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Marcos Esteban? Does he even know anything about the Brooklyn Dodgers? Sounds like someone left the house without taking their medication, to me!

4. Jonathan - Dec 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Just because the embezzler didn’t threaten anyone explicitly with bodily harm doesn’t make him less dangerous or his crime any less deleterious.

5. DiamondDuq - Dec 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

This shouldn’t surprise anyone. Try wearing any non-Philly apparel to a game in Philly and there will be no threat, you’ll simple be assaulted. Similarly, try wearing some Steelers/Bengals/Eagles/etc. gear in Baltimore on a football Sunday. People are psychotic in general when it comes to sports. While it’s entirely disturbing, it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

6. FLCajun - Dec 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Some “fans” if you can call them that are just eat up with it. I once told a friend of mine, Vikings fan, that I (Packers fan) would like to watch a Packers/Vikings game at the local bar he went to. This is in S. Florida. He looked at me like I was totally crazy and said, “You can’t do that, there would be a fight if you were cheering for the Packers.” I just looked at him and shook my head. What a shame you can’t enjoy a game together, rib each other a bit and go home.
    This guy sounds like he should be in jail or a mental institute.

7. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Yeah Richeard, there is no crime in Dallas, why don’t you stop talking sheet, you probably never been to New York.

8. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Well, have you ever been to Dallas, just ask Richard in Dallas he will tell you.

9. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I recall a Pittsburg fan getting poisioned in a Chicago bar and having to go to a HOSPITAL before the Pittsburg/ Chicago game

10. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Craig,you really have to stop reading the Post, it will kill you career.
    This happened in Bushwick Brooklyn, not that it matters but I bet the guy was Drunk and was probably from LA and hated the Dodgers.
    The Post is not the most accurate paper to reference but Craig doesn’t listen so that is on him for giving you fellas bad info.
    The Post lies about their circulation numbers, how can you believe anything they report.

11. Sirka67 - Dec 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

This is the main reason why I do not attend any sporting events. This is AMERICA and we can say or wear basically anything what we want (with the exception of FIRE in a movie theater). If you get so worked up and annoyed that someone else choses to wear a baseball shirt or cap of a team that you do not like and have to resort to violence, it’s YOU who has the problem, not the person wearing it. You should not have to use common sense and on guard because you like a different team than the majority. It’s just a game in the end. It’s not life, war, terrorism, it’s game. And if it were not played life would go on. That’s what happened after the 1994 baseball strike. I have not cared after that and you know what, life goes on. There are other things to do than get upset over a win or loss. There is more to life than sports.

12. TimberLee - Dec 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM

In 2008 I wore a BlueJays cap to three different MLB parks (not counting Toronto) and people were either polite or they ignored me. I once went to Fenway wearing a Yomiyuri Giants cap and some guy actually started a brief friendly conversation. But I have not worn a RedSox cap to Yankee Stadium yet.

13. Old Gator - Dec 30, 2009 at 6:01 AM

“I had enough of this town / and the street life / over nothing you wind up on / the wrong end of someone’s knife.”
    …Bruce Springsteen

14. disney cruise vacation - Jan 10, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I want to thank you so much for taking the time to make this post — I, for one, appreciate it! Hearing someone else’s point of view gives me pause to consider. Anyway, thanks again and I’ll be back for more!

15. rob2211Movie - Jan 21, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Thank you! Your blog has been exactly what I needed to read right now…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4168)