Dec 29, 2009, 10:13 PM EDT
UPDATE: MLB.com is reporting that the Cardinals have offered Matt Holliday an 8-year contract for about $16 million per season.
The story also speculates that if a mystery team were to enter the Holliday mix it could be the Seattle Mariners.
ESPN’s Buster Olney is reporting that the St. Louis Cardinals are becoming increasingly optimistic that they can sign outfielder Matt Holliday. And rightly so.
After Holliday rejected early offers from both the Cardinals (reportedly five years, $80 million) and Red Sox (five year, $82.5 million), the market has dried up.
The Red Sox gave their money to John Lackey and Mike Cameron and are now flirting with Adrian Beltre. The Yankees have said they’re standing pat. Another potential big spender, the Mets, just reached a deal with Jason Bay.
Olney writes that Boras is now “doubling back to teams that had previously expressed interest in Holliday,” and that the asking price is dropping.
There had been talk earlier in the offseason that Holliday was seeking a deal in excess of $100 million over five years, but his price has been coming down markedly. The Bay signing averages $16.5 million per season, and sources say Holliday’s representatives are now asking teams for about $18 million a year.
There is no doubt Holliday is a great hitter and a solid defender (never mind his playoff gaffe). As Aaron wrote earlier, he’s a better all-around player than Bay. At the new asking price, I wonder if some new teams might jump into the mix, especially NL teams tired of being terrorized by Holliday over the last six years.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)