Dec 29, 2009, 5:00 PM EST
Derrick Goold of the Post-Dispatch, passing along Mark DeRosa’s answer to a question about the Cardinals never getting around to making him an offer this winter:
“I was just tired of being a lot of teams’ Plan B.”
Can’t say as I blame him. No one wants to be stepped over. People want to go where there’s something in it for them. Waiting around for the Cardinals and being thought of as only a utility guys may be how most teams wanted it, but it’s not the way he wanted it. He thinks he can handle things, not like everybody says. He’s smart and he wants respect.
So I guess that makes Xavier Nady the lone remaining Fredo in this year’s free agent class.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 36
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 14
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)