Red Sox talking to Boras about Beltre

Dec 29, 2009, 9:11 PM EDT

The Boston Red Sox said goodbye to Jason Bay today, and with a good dose of humor in some corners.

So what do the Red Sox do now? According to Gordon Edes at ESPN Boston, they are keeping a quiet dialogue going with agent Scott Boras about free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.

Now the Red Sox already have an expensive third baseman in Mike Lowell, and as much as Theo Epstein might wish otherwise, the deal sending Lowell to the Rangers did not go through. Of course, given the fallout after the trade fell apart, I’m not sure Epstein cares. It seems that Mike Lowell’s days in Boston are likely done.

But even if the Sox do simply dump Lowell, they will still have to pay him, and the Red Sox have shown no inclination to pay the luxury tax next season, further complicating matters.
The guess here is that Theo Epstein is simply letting Boras know he’s still interested, and that he’d like a phone call should Beltre’s asking price of $10-$15 million per year drop down to a more sensible level.

Beltre, by the way, would be a great fit at Fenway. Few third basemen are better than he is defensively, and one would expect his power numbers to gain at least a little boost by exchanging spacious Safeco for the Green Monster in left field.

Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.

1. Riiiiight - Dec 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Just another Yankme fan spouting his all knowing wisdom……
    BoSox will do just fine offensively even without adding anyone else. They could still add Adrian Gonzalez by overpaying in a trade or by adding another free agent (which they wouldn’t have to overpay for).
    Their rotation is on par with anyone in MLB.
    I agree, they may not make the playoffs this year (my nod goes to either Tampa Bay or Seattle) but it won’t be a 3 year waiting period to be back in contention either.

2. bb fan - Dec 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Folks:
    Why are NYY fans and Bosox fans so nasty with one another?
    Folks – it is all about the love of the game. Can’t you guys appreciate the game instead of trashing each other?
    What happened over the years. I mean if you want to crazy go to a international soccer game. That is where most of the above commentors should go!

3. SoxFan - Dec 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Seriously, a downward spiral? If you honestly believe that you really need to have your head examined. Yes, we lost Bay, I’m not thrilled about that, that will cost us 30 HRs and 110-120 RBI’s next year. Oh but wait, we picked up Lackey, he’ll probably save somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 runs and will be more effective that Penny, Smoltz, Tazawa, winning a few more games for us. Let us also not forget that we also have Martinez for a full year, that will be a boost of at least 20-30 runs over Varitek. Pedroia had a less impressive year, look for him to rebound. Papi couldn’t possibly have any slower start than he did last year. Ellsbury has done nothing but get better each season, as has Youk. And Matsuzaka will undoubtedly have a more impressive season than he did last year. All this adds up to only 1 thing, we finished 8 games behind the Yankers this year. I’d take the additions of the above mentioned players and their chance to make up 8 games quicker than I’d expect Bay alone to pick up that slack.

4. CommonNow - Dec 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Hi riiiiight. I’m a life long Bosox fan who wants to win – not just ‘also ran’. This is after all the goal of a professional sports team, no?
    With some proper moves the Bosox could have contended in ’08, ’09 and ’10. These moves have not materialized and our squad is going down hill before our eyes. We’ll continue to watch and buy tickets, which is what the owners are banking on. That is the frustrating part.
    I say 2012 for these reasons:
    1) This year there is a poor pool of available players – so even if they threw $100Million out the team would not be that improved. Take away Bay and there is no one move that could make the team significantly more offensive. So 2010 is a wash.
    2) That leaves 2010 Off-Season for some pick ups. The agents sense this and we’ll be facing larger than life contracts – so we’ll only make one or two moves. PLUS we’ll lose some of the core.
    3) Even if we get some unbelievable offensive powerhouse a team still has to jell. This takes time. So I agree with you we will be stronger (“back in contention”) but I don’t think they can win the WS in ’11.
    Therefore, assuming some strong pick ups, it is 2012 before the Bosox really have a chance.

5. CommonNow - Dec 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Belive me I hope you are right. Don’t overemphasize the BAY trade as the reason for angst. Posting is about the Sox as a whole.
    And – to preempt the BS which someone is considering typing – being a fan doesn’t mean blindly blurting optomistic statements!!!!Sometimes the emporer is naked.

6. billybill - Dec 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM

What about the big Texas blowhard Roger Clemens?I think he did steroids to recover from his one million injuries.He played for both of these teams.

7. Edgar - Dec 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Wah Wah Wah the Yankees spend money on players so do the Red Sox, and the Mets, and the Dodgers, and the Philies. I wish sox fans would stop crying over what the Yankees do and start crying over what the Sox don’t do win championships with regularity. A large payroll doesn’t mean you’ll win but it sure helps. The Yanks can afford a large payroll because the fans support them ($2,500 a seat)How many teams take the luxury tax money they get from the Yanks and spend it on a player? None! So sign Beltre to a big contract and when he sucks release him so the Yanks can add another DH on your dime.

8. harringtonce - Dec 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Hey guys, kindergarten called. It said their dad could beat up your dad.
    Stupid morons with your “junior high level” trash talk – I would never post any comments on a story like this unless it could add something to the conversation…wait, crap, I just did!

9. JudyJ - Dec 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I have been trashed as a true blue Yankee fan. I am. But I am also realistic. The Yankees gave up huge production in Matzui and Damon (probably gone – I don’t know where – but that is the consensus). They also gave up Melky to get Granderson who is similar to Melky. We also have considerations to think about – while they are similar to last year’s team, there are huge changes in the offense department. The bullpen is still young and the starting rotation is still a work in progress. Boston has a great pitching rotation – and that should be enough. All in all, I am thinking this is going to be another neck and neck situation with the Yanks and Sawks with Tampa Bay in the mix again. Trash talk aside, I think both teams are up for the competition between themselves and anyone else. GO YANKEES!

10. JudyJ - Dec 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM

11. jc - Dec 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM

yanks are a bunch of overpaid useless arrogant babies who pulled another one out of their behind at a price of 220 million – and they will try to buy another one and sell another soul to the devil to do so – as usual. By the way – sox should leave beltre alone – he is not worth it.

12. hop - Dec 31, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Amazing how eat a punk just can’t help himself but to follow me around!! Can you say putty in my hands? You bet you can!

13. michael zolkos - Dec 31, 2009 at 7:40 PM

yanks get lucky in 09 but go back to mediocre i10

14. GeoIII - Jan 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I’ve never been a Beltre fan would just as soon keep Lowell. He gives the Red Sox a tough gritty image. Ever since he knocked Cano on his ass after AROD gave Pedroia a cheap shot I love the guy

15. Carl - Jan 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

ALL YOU YANKEE FANS CAN SUCK MY COCK…
    IF OTHER TEAMS HAD THE MONEY AND RESOURCES THAT THE YANKEES DO, THEN MAYBE BASEBALL WOULD BE ENJOYABLE TO WATCH. UNTIL THE COMPETITIVE GAP IS CLOSED, THE SPORT SUCKS….

16. bf - Jan 2, 2010 at 2:31 AM

’04 Choke – remember?

17. Jed Slibowitz - Jan 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Carl grow up – your part of the moronic cult who denigrates sports with your useless drivel.

18. NYCORNERSTONES - Jan 2, 2010 at 12:46 PM

SO YOUR SAYING YOUR MOMS A YANKEE FAN OK FGT

19. SEO Article writing service - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Kudos for creating such a informative portal. this website is not only informative but also very inventive too. There normally are only few professionals who can write technical content that creatively. I keep looking for information about a subject like this. I Myself have gone through dozens of blogs to build up on information about this. Keep up the good work !!

20. Lee Pyotr - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Thanks for publishing about this. There’s a bunch of great tech information on the internet. You’ve got a lot of that info here on your web site. I’m impressed – I try to keep a couple blogs fairly live, but it’s a struggle sometimes. You’ve done a great job with this one. How do you do it?

Three legends off to Cooperstown