Dec 29, 2009, 9:11 PM EDT
So what do the Red Sox do now? According to Gordon Edes at ESPN Boston, they are keeping a quiet dialogue going with agent Scott Boras about free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.
Now the Red Sox already have an expensive third baseman in Mike Lowell, and as much as Theo Epstein might wish otherwise, the deal sending Lowell to the Rangers did not go through. Of course, given the fallout after the trade fell apart, I’m not sure Epstein cares. It seems that Mike Lowell’s days in Boston are likely done.
But even if the Sox do simply dump Lowell, they will still have to pay him, and the Red Sox have shown no inclination to pay the luxury tax next season, further complicating matters.
The guess here is that Theo Epstein is simply letting Boras know he’s still interested, and that he’d like a phone call should Beltre’s asking price of $10-$15 million per year drop down to a more sensible level.
Beltre, by the way, would be a great fit at Fenway. Few third basemen are better than he is defensively, and one would expect his power numbers to gain at least a little boost by exchanging spacious Safeco for the Green Monster in left field.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)