Dec 29, 2009, 9:11 PM EST
So what do the Red Sox do now? According to Gordon Edes at ESPN Boston, they are keeping a quiet dialogue going with agent Scott Boras about free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.
Now the Red Sox already have an expensive third baseman in Mike Lowell, and as much as Theo Epstein might wish otherwise, the deal sending Lowell to the Rangers did not go through. Of course, given the fallout after the trade fell apart, I’m not sure Epstein cares. It seems that Mike Lowell’s days in Boston are likely done.
But even if the Sox do simply dump Lowell, they will still have to pay him, and the Red Sox have shown no inclination to pay the luxury tax next season, further complicating matters.
The guess here is that Theo Epstein is simply letting Boras know he’s still interested, and that he’d like a phone call should Beltre’s asking price of $10-$15 million per year drop down to a more sensible level.
Beltre, by the way, would be a great fit at Fenway. Few third basemen are better than he is defensively, and one would expect his power numbers to gain at least a little boost by exchanging spacious Safeco for the Green Monster in left field.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)