Dec 29, 2009, 9:11 PM EDT
So what do the Red Sox do now? According to Gordon Edes at ESPN Boston, they are keeping a quiet dialogue going with agent Scott Boras about free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.
Now the Red Sox already have an expensive third baseman in Mike Lowell, and as much as Theo Epstein might wish otherwise, the deal sending Lowell to the Rangers did not go through. Of course, given the fallout after the trade fell apart, I’m not sure Epstein cares. It seems that Mike Lowell’s days in Boston are likely done.
But even if the Sox do simply dump Lowell, they will still have to pay him, and the Red Sox have shown no inclination to pay the luxury tax next season, further complicating matters.
The guess here is that Theo Epstein is simply letting Boras know he’s still interested, and that he’d like a phone call should Beltre’s asking price of $10-$15 million per year drop down to a more sensible level.
Beltre, by the way, would be a great fit at Fenway. Few third basemen are better than he is defensively, and one would expect his power numbers to gain at least a little boost by exchanging spacious Safeco for the Green Monster in left field.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)