Dec 29, 2009, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joel Sherman tweets that it’s a four year, $66 million deal, but with an “easy vest” for a fifth year. Depending how easy, it may as well be a five year deal.
2:14 P.M: WFAN’s Mike Francesa just announced that the Mets have signed Jason Bay pending a physical.
No details yet — Francesa said that the team won’t make an announcement until next week. I’m guessing that this will wake everyone up however, and the details will be out soon. Last quasi-solid thing we had on him was the Mets offering four years at roughly $16 million a year. One wonders if the Mets finally went to five years to make it happen (UPDATE: MetsBlog thinks it may only be for four years). Or maybe the “Mystery Team” forced Omar to go to 10 years/180 million.
In the meantime, you’ll recall that the thinking as recently as Sunday was that “Bay would rather play in Beirut than Queens,” and that a couple of weeks ago the New York Post compared Bay to Bobby Bonilla, so this whole Jason Bay in New York thing should be great fun.
Anyway, sorry for mocking you Mike. I guess it was a major announcement . Heh.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)