Dec 29, 2009, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joel Sherman tweets that it’s a four year, $66 million deal, but with an “easy vest” for a fifth year. Depending how easy, it may as well be a five year deal.
2:14 P.M: WFAN’s Mike Francesa just announced that the Mets have signed Jason Bay pending a physical.
No details yet — Francesa said that the team won’t make an announcement until next week. I’m guessing that this will wake everyone up however, and the details will be out soon. Last quasi-solid thing we had on him was the Mets offering four years at roughly $16 million a year. One wonders if the Mets finally went to five years to make it happen (UPDATE: MetsBlog thinks it may only be for four years). Or maybe the “Mystery Team” forced Omar to go to 10 years/180 million.
In the meantime, you’ll recall that the thinking as recently as Sunday was that “Bay would rather play in Beirut than Queens,” and that a couple of weeks ago the New York Post compared Bay to Bobby Bonilla, so this whole Jason Bay in New York thing should be great fun.
Anyway, sorry for mocking you Mike. I guess it was a major announcement . Heh.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)