Dec 29, 2009, 2:44 PM EST
UPDATE: Joel Sherman tweets that it’s a four year, $66 million deal, but with an “easy vest” for a fifth year. Depending how easy, it may as well be a five year deal.
2:14 P.M: WFAN’s Mike Francesa just announced that the Mets have signed Jason Bay pending a physical.
No details yet — Francesa said that the team won’t make an announcement until next week. I’m guessing that this will wake everyone up however, and the details will be out soon. Last quasi-solid thing we had on him was the Mets offering four years at roughly $16 million a year. One wonders if the Mets finally went to five years to make it happen (UPDATE: MetsBlog thinks it may only be for four years). Or maybe the “Mystery Team” forced Omar to go to 10 years/180 million.
In the meantime, you’ll recall that the thinking as recently as Sunday was that “Bay would rather play in Beirut than Queens,” and that a couple of weeks ago the New York Post compared Bay to Bobby Bonilla, so this whole Jason Bay in New York thing should be great fun.
Anyway, sorry for mocking you Mike. I guess it was a major announcement . Heh.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 6
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 27
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)