Dec 29, 2009, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joel Sherman tweets that it’s a four year, $66 million deal, but with an “easy vest” for a fifth year. Depending how easy, it may as well be a five year deal.
2:14 P.M: WFAN’s Mike Francesa just announced that the Mets have signed Jason Bay pending a physical.
No details yet — Francesa said that the team won’t make an announcement until next week. I’m guessing that this will wake everyone up however, and the details will be out soon. Last quasi-solid thing we had on him was the Mets offering four years at roughly $16 million a year. One wonders if the Mets finally went to five years to make it happen (UPDATE: MetsBlog thinks it may only be for four years). Or maybe the “Mystery Team” forced Omar to go to 10 years/180 million.
In the meantime, you’ll recall that the thinking as recently as Sunday was that “Bay would rather play in Beirut than Queens,” and that a couple of weeks ago the New York Post compared Bay to Bobby Bonilla, so this whole Jason Bay in New York thing should be great fun.
Anyway, sorry for mocking you Mike. I guess it was a major announcement . Heh.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)