Dec 29, 2009, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joel Sherman tweets that it’s a four year, $66 million deal, but with an “easy vest” for a fifth year. Depending how easy, it may as well be a five year deal.
2:14 P.M: WFAN’s Mike Francesa just announced that the Mets have signed Jason Bay pending a physical.
No details yet — Francesa said that the team won’t make an announcement until next week. I’m guessing that this will wake everyone up however, and the details will be out soon. Last quasi-solid thing we had on him was the Mets offering four years at roughly $16 million a year. One wonders if the Mets finally went to five years to make it happen (UPDATE: MetsBlog thinks it may only be for four years). Or maybe the “Mystery Team” forced Omar to go to 10 years/180 million.
In the meantime, you’ll recall that the thinking as recently as Sunday was that “Bay would rather play in Beirut than Queens,” and that a couple of weeks ago the New York Post compared Bay to Bobby Bonilla, so this whole Jason Bay in New York thing should be great fun.
Anyway, sorry for mocking you Mike. I guess it was a major announcement . Heh.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8