Dec 29, 2009, 6:30 PM EDT
Amazin’ Avenue, via Pat Andriola, says that ESPN 1050 is saying that the Mets have signed Bengie Molina. No one else has this yet, but it wouldn’t be terribly unexpected if it happened. Last we heard they were fighting over length-of-deal, with Molina wanting three years and the Mets wanting one year plus an option.
If Jason Bay is any indication they’ll give him two years plus an option that vests upon the continuation of gravitational forces or something.
UPDATE: Pat Andriola comments below to (a) clarify that he doesn’t work for ESPN, which I knew but brain-farted into the post via the elimination of a critical “via”; and (b) to say that he didn’t say that the Mets had signed Molina; just that they’re close. Amazin’ Avenue, however, is still as of this point reporting that it’s a signing, and that’s what I was working off of.
To sum up: (a) I should never post during dinner; and (b) posting these sorts of things often means playing a game of telephone, and we know how that goes.
You may now resume your Tuesday evening.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)