Thinnest rumor of the year: Jim Thome and the Tigers

Dec 29, 2009, 6:00 PM EDT

How thin? I’m going to base it on a single tweet from MSG Network’s Tina Cervasio, who said that she saw Jim Thome in a suburban Detroit hotel a few minutes ago.  Does that mean Thome is talking to the Tigers? Hey, why not!  TMZ is getting into sports gossip, you know. If that works out we’ll all have to start stalking people in order to compete!

Other options: He’s there to party with Miguel Cabrera, who also has a thing for suburban Detroit hotels.  Or, as ESPN’s Jorge Arangure said, Thome is the kind of guy who might actually vacation in Detroit.

I can see it now: “Gee, this is a swell place. So much history. Hey, who wants to go to Canada? It’s just across that bridge there! Neat!”

So there you are. Start spreading the news. Thome to the Tigers. It’s gold, baby. Gold I tells ya.

UPDATE: Sadly, the word now is that Thome is in Detroit for a funeral. What a downer to a perfectly ludicrous rumor.

1. Eat a Peach - Dec 29, 2009 at 6:23 PM

It’s still so painful to see the lovely and talented Tina Cervasio working for MSG. Seems like just yesterday she was awing Red Sox fans with her poise and beauty. Still, it’s hard for a Jersey girl to work in Boston. I feel that.
    First Tina, then Varitek “screwed” us out of Hazel Mae. I find cold comfort in Heidi Watney, unlike these Boston Brahmins. They like their butter hard and their woman tall and regal with no chest. Thin-lipped bluebloods all of ‘em. A bunch of Crackberry addicts. You can see them all around Fenway on the bottom rows, like a bobbing see of tiny t.v.’s monitoring stock prices during day games.

2. Alex Poterack - Dec 29, 2009 at 7:02 PM

“I can see it now: ‘Gee, this is a swell place. So much history. Hey, who wants to go to Canada? It’s just across that bridge there! Neat!'”
    Don’t you mean:
    GEE THIS PLACE IS SWE
    SWELL
    THERE IS MUCH HISTORY HERE, INCLUDING MANY HISTORIC DINGERS OL JIM HAS CRUSHED
    ?

3. (Not That) Tom - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Screwing us out of Hazel Mae may have been the one tangible benefit Varitek has provided Sox fans over the past few season.

4. Thome - Dec 29, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I got my first baseman’s mitt and Cabrera is looking for a house in Boston. So where’s a good place to live in Motown. Comerica is a great place to hit HRs!

5. Thome - Dec 29, 2009 at 10:37 PM

6. Arendell - Dec 29, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I love it!! This was a great one thank you Craig.

7. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Hey very nice blog!!….I’m an instant fan, I have bookmarked you and I’ll be checking back on a regular….See ya

Orioles turn AL East on its head