Dec 29, 2009, 6:00 PM EST
How thin? I’m going to base it on a single tweet from MSG Network’s Tina Cervasio, who said that she saw Jim Thome in a suburban Detroit hotel a few minutes ago. Does that mean Thome is talking to the Tigers? Hey, why not! TMZ is getting into sports gossip, you know. If that works out we’ll all have to start stalking people in order to compete!
Other options: He’s there to party with Miguel Cabrera, who also has a thing for suburban Detroit hotels. Or, as ESPN’s Jorge Arangure said, Thome is the kind of guy who might actually vacation in Detroit.
I can see it now: “Gee, this is a swell place. So much history. Hey, who wants to go to Canada? It’s just across that bridge there! Neat!”
So there you are. Start spreading the news. Thome to the Tigers. It’s gold, baby. Gold I tells ya.
UPDATE: Sadly, the word now is that Thome is in Detroit for a funeral. What a downer to a perfectly ludicrous rumor.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)