Why are the Yankees pretending to have a budget this year?

Dec 29, 2009, 10:55 AM EDT

Well, they have some budget. I mean, eventually we’ll would reach a point where the Yankees actually can’t afford to meet payroll. I just think that number is way higher than the $198 million they’re claiming to be held to this year.  So why are they sticking to this likely artificial budget?

Because next year is going to be when they really go hog wild.  I mentioned Carl Crawford earlier this morning, but the 2010 free agent class really is significantly better than the 2009 class and there are many players to spend their money on next year that are better buys than Jason Bay, Matt Holliday or Johnny Damon.  Players like Crawford, and Jayson Werth and Cliff Lee and Josh Beckett and Brandon Webb and Matt Cain and, yes, Joe Mauer (who some are speculating could rake in $30 million a year if he hits the open market).

No, I don’t think the Yankees are all-in on all of those guys — I’ve often said and still believe that the Twins will extend Mauer — but in my mind this is shaping up like 2008’s lull before New York went crazy on Sabathia, Teixeira and Burnett before the 2009 season.  Biding their time — the extent acquiring Granderson and Vazquez can be called biding one’s time — until they jack up the payroll to $220 million+ and make a run at Crawford and maybe one of Lee, Beckett or (shudder) Mauer.

Not that I endorse that for the good of anyone’s health outside of the Yankees Universe.

1. JudyJ - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

At least I’m honest about my thoughts. What team do you root for? Why would anyone not want to come to the Yankees – can you answer that question? Oh, forget – that’s just an invitation for more crap from you wanna bees.

2. JudyJ - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM

I don’t care how they get to the championship or if it is a dynasty. 5 trip to the WS in ten years is ok by me.

3. JudyJ - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Well here is my friend, the SAWKS fan. That sez it all.

4. Manny is a Tranny - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Why should the Yankees run their franchise like the drive-over inbred towns of Boston and Killadelphia? The Yankees have a great farm system, its called the American league! If John Henry does not like it he should stop tweeting little boys and spend his Ponzi fund money before it disappears into the ether.

5. JudyJ - Dec 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM

ha ha ha ha………

6. YANKEES1996 - Dec 30, 2009 at 9:32 AM

robinson42 – Get a grip on reality, there is no team in baseball that relies entirely on their farm system to win games or the World Series. Your argument about the Yankees buying their championships is PURE GARBAGE, every team pays their players to play the game, so your jealousy is apparent and well documented.
    So please don’t delay tell me all about the teams that have won the World Series without signing guys like Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson and a host of others….that is right there is nothing to say.

7. affiliate network - Jan 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Directly in яблочко

8. fuzzy gamer - Jan 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Wow…i found a game related to cthulhu / lovecraft…called necronomicon!! very addictive!

9. Irina Breining - Feb 28, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Good information in your post, I watched this report on tv the other day about this same thing and since I am going to be married next month and the timing couldn’t have been better! thanks for the ideas!

10. Tresa Markarian - Feb 28, 2010 at 2:34 AM

This trend has reached a amazing new level courtesy of online blog services that you can take anywhere. Since most commuters spend more time online, blogs help them kick their research into overdrive.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3296)