Dec 30, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
SI’s Tim Marchman is the one who got the lets-put-a-third-team-in-New York stuff going the other day. The followup posts on the subject by myself and others led to two primary objections: (1) it’ll never happen because Hal Steinbrenner and Fred Wilpon won’t let it happen; and (2) it won’t work, because the Yankees are too entrenched.
Marchman takes on those objections here, and does a pretty good job of it. My view: if it never happens it’ll because the lack of will from the Commissioner’s office, not the objections of the New York teams. Marchman’s right: everyone has their price. All it takes is someone — or 28 or 29 other someones — willing to pay it.
But I’d go with north Jersey over Brooklyn, Tim. Just my gut feeling.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)