Dec 30, 2009, 6:00 PM EDT
Newly-signed Athletics’ starter Justin Duchscherer participated in a conference call with local reporters today. The Chronicle’s Susan Slusser reports that he discussed his battle with depression at length during the call and has some of the details and flavor of it all here.
Dealing with depression is a tough enough row to hoe, but the fact that Duchscherer did it (a) without the aid of anti-depressants, which he felt wouldn’t be the best thing for an athlete’s body; and (b) did it away from his team and day-to-day routine due to his injury rehab makes his rebound all the more remarkable.
I don’t see many A’s games back east, but I think I’m going to make a point to seek out the Duchscherer starts this coming season. He sounds like someone worth rooting for.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)