Dec 30, 2009, 6:00 PM EDT
Newly-signed Athletics’ starter Justin Duchscherer participated in a conference call with local reporters today. The Chronicle’s Susan Slusser reports that he discussed his battle with depression at length during the call and has some of the details and flavor of it all here.
Dealing with depression is a tough enough row to hoe, but the fact that Duchscherer did it (a) without the aid of anti-depressants, which he felt wouldn’t be the best thing for an athlete’s body; and (b) did it away from his team and day-to-day routine due to his injury rehab makes his rebound all the more remarkable.
I don’t see many A’s games back east, but I think I’m going to make a point to seek out the Duchscherer starts this coming season. He sounds like someone worth rooting for.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 7
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)