Dec 30, 2009, 6:00 PM EDT
Newly-signed Athletics’ starter Justin Duchscherer participated in a conference call with local reporters today. The Chronicle’s Susan Slusser reports that he discussed his battle with depression at length during the call and has some of the details and flavor of it all here.
Dealing with depression is a tough enough row to hoe, but the fact that Duchscherer did it (a) without the aid of anti-depressants, which he felt wouldn’t be the best thing for an athlete’s body; and (b) did it away from his team and day-to-day routine due to his injury rehab makes his rebound all the more remarkable.
I don’t see many A’s games back east, but I think I’m going to make a point to seek out the Duchscherer starts this coming season. He sounds like someone worth rooting for.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)