Dec 30, 2009, 5:15 PM EST
Hideki Matsui, upon arriving back in Japan:
“I’d like to prove I can play defense at spring training. It will be
difficult to play defense every day like in the past, but I’d like to
reach the point where I can play defense once every few games.”
Matsui played no defense last season. He played 24 games in the outfield in 2008. When he did, he was really, really bad. Like Adam Dunn bad.
This is not happening. The Angels signed Matsui to be a DH. If he plays a single game in the outfield next year that does not involve at least one mistake on the manager’s card and a big case of quick-onset food poisoning in the Angels’ clubhouse, I’ll eat my hat.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27