Dec 30, 2009, 2:53 AM EDT
If Jamie Moyer did indeed make a deal with the devil, it appears that ol’ Beelzebub has decided it’s time to cash in.
Moyer, who has had an amazing ability to avoid major health issues over the course of his 23-year career – a career spent baffling hitters with an array of marshmallow fastballs, Bugs Bunny breaking balls and invisible changeups – has had a hellish time over the last three months.
Enter, Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:
Moyer, 47, has been in the hospital three times since he suffered a sports hernia injury in September, and he has a fourth trip coming up. He had an initial surgery Oct. 2, but returned to the hospital Oct. 7 with a blood infection. He seemed to be making progress until he had to go back to the hospital Nov. 24 after complaining of recurring symptoms. During that stay, he had a second surgery, on Nov. 27, after tests showed a small collection of infected blood.
Moyer continues to wear a PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter) to fight the infection, and next month has to go in for surgery to repair a meniscus on his right knee.
Despite all of this, Moyer claims he’ll be ready for the start of spring training in mid-February.
Optimistic as the ol’ lefty is, this is the exact reason I was puzzled that the Phillies gave him a two-year contract entering the 2009 season. No matter how much of a freak of nature he might be, he will still be nearly 48 when his contract expires. Anyone remember how suddenly and viciously Nolan Ryan’s career ended? Let’s hope Moyer doesn’t suffer the same fate.
“I was telling my wife Karen that I’ve been playing 20-plus years and never had a surgery,” he said. “So I guess I’m making up for it this offseason. I’ve been pretty blessed to stay away from that kind of stuff. I guess it was my time.”
Blessed, perhaps. Or maybe his body finally woke up and realized it was 47.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)