Dec 30, 2009, 2:53 AM EDT
If Jamie Moyer did indeed make a deal with the devil, it appears that ol’ Beelzebub has decided it’s time to cash in.
Moyer, who has had an amazing ability to avoid major health issues over the course of his 23-year career – a career spent baffling hitters with an array of marshmallow fastballs, Bugs Bunny breaking balls and invisible changeups – has had a hellish time over the last three months.
Enter, Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:
Moyer, 47, has been in the hospital three times since he suffered a sports hernia injury in September, and he has a fourth trip coming up. He had an initial surgery Oct. 2, but returned to the hospital Oct. 7 with a blood infection. He seemed to be making progress until he had to go back to the hospital Nov. 24 after complaining of recurring symptoms. During that stay, he had a second surgery, on Nov. 27, after tests showed a small collection of infected blood.
Moyer continues to wear a PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter) to fight the infection, and next month has to go in for surgery to repair a meniscus on his right knee.
Despite all of this, Moyer claims he’ll be ready for the start of spring training in mid-February.
Optimistic as the ol’ lefty is, this is the exact reason I was puzzled that the Phillies gave him a two-year contract entering the 2009 season. No matter how much of a freak of nature he might be, he will still be nearly 48 when his contract expires. Anyone remember how suddenly and viciously Nolan Ryan’s career ended? Let’s hope Moyer doesn’t suffer the same fate.
“I was telling my wife Karen that I’ve been playing 20-plus years and never had a surgery,” he said. “So I guess I’m making up for it this offseason. I’ve been pretty blessed to stay away from that kind of stuff. I guess it was my time.”
Blessed, perhaps. Or maybe his body finally woke up and realized it was 47.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?